• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

mrjamescost

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello C&J connoisseurs, I am looking for a very dark brown plain oxford, my issue is that I live in South America and is very very expenssive returning shoes to UK so any guidance will be helpful.

My favourite oxford is the Church's Consul in 173 last and I am looking for something in C&J that is similar in last and proportions (I am kind of bulky so very slim or elongated lasts don't work on me), I wonder if someone can kindly help me with C&J lasts and models. Thank you.
Just go for the Consul. I couldn’t give you better advice.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just go for the Consul. I couldn’t give you better advice.

Thank you for the advice. I have tried with the Consul, but I couldn't find a retailer (not even Church's or Herring) that could deliver this dark brown shoe to Peru, so I am considering other options, including the C&J Connaught and Cheaney Alfred.

mogili222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love these.
3dU99Uz.jpg

carve

Reaction score
I'm 7.5 in Brecon (341) and Hallam (348). The 341 is slightly larger in width to me.

Hi, What colour saphire Should i use on a pair of C&J Ashdown in brown grain. Im going for a deep colour/patina. Any advice or ideas for mixing colours would be great. Thank you in advance.

Nat Jag

Reaction score
Hi, What colour saphire Should i use on a pair of C&J Ashdown in brown grain. Im going for a deep colour/patina. Any advice or ideas for mixing colours would be great. Thank you in advance.

I use Medium brown on mine and black on the toes. However, I have recently brought some dark brown, which I'll try. For extra gloss (which I don't want often) I use a standard natural wax over the top, as it has a higher bees wax content apparently.
IMG_0416.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Medium brown on mine and black on the toes. However, I have recently brought some dark brown, which I'll try. For extra gloss (which I don't want often) I use a standard natural wax over the top, as it has a higher bees wax content apparently.
View attachment 1164423

Do you think black would work on the toe caps of tan grain?

I have considered trying this but unsure if it is too extreme and a dark brown is more suitable.

I currently use the Havana Brown but have been wanting to get some cognac brown to get some more warm red tones.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
Maiden Voyage- Hartland 2 View attachment 1160950

I am curious which suede colour these Hartlands come in. Is it mushroom?
I am currently thinking about doing a MTO in either the Chukka or the Westfield in a light beige suede. However, the colours in photos on the web do vary a lot for shoes in the same C&J "colour name". Especially "mushroom" sometime seems to be beige, sometimes grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads