• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown Pembroke today.

1E688765-9A86-4ADF-9C79-D1C6314575B6.jpeg

BA866D9C-D5E9-4DB4-8D64-C9D9D2FEEA1F.jpeg

Capgreed

Reaction score
Clearly mileage varies here. I owned a pair of tetbury’s for over two years in UK 8.5, and the heel slipped, the laces were fully closed, and the vamp had absurdly deep creases. I hated wearing them by the time I sold them. I currently have a Rain oxford in 8.5 with a mild amount of extra room but none of the other issues.

Hi .... I currently own two Carmina rain lasted shoes , one Adelaide Oxford that is a bit tight on the vamp of my feet , and a whole cut rain that is not loose but the V of the vamp is almost fully closed ( really comfortable shoe , the lack of obtrusive seams on the vamp really make it better than the Adelaide for my feet ), no heel slippage on both ...Both in 9uk ....So yeah I have wide feet with a high instep ... Based on your experience you think I could fit a Crockett 348 monk in 9uk without my feet feeling like compressed in a corset ? I've heard the 348 last is kind of the same as Carmina Simpson last , but I cannot fit a Simpson at all , your commentary on the 348 lasted Tetbury gave me glimmer of hope that I perhaps could fit it , because I found a gorgeous 348 monk on sale ....
Thank you for your response in advance

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi .... I currently own two Carmina rain lasted shoes , one Adelaide Oxford that is a bit tight on the vamp of my feet , and a whole cut rain that is not loose but the V of the vamp is almost fully closed ( really comfortable shoe , the lack of obtrusive seams on the vamp really make it better than the Adelaide for my feet ), no heel slippage on both ...Both in 9uk ....So yeah I have wide feet with a high instep ... Based on your experience you think I could fit a Crockett 348 monk in 9uk without my feet feeling like compressed in a corset ? I've heard the 348 last is kind of the same as Carmina Simpson last , but I cannot fit a Simpson at all , your commentary on the 348 lasted Tetbury gave me glimmer of hope that I perhaps could fit it , because I found a gorgeous 348 monk on sale ....

In my experience, 348 is a lot closer to Simpson than Rain. IMO the instep ina 9 would give you problems, particularly in the instep.

Capgreed

Reaction score
In my experience, 348 is a lot closer to Simpson than Rain. IMO the instep ina 9 would give you problems, particularly in the instep.
Thanks for the reply !
So what lasts of Crockett and jones monks do you advise I should try ? Saville ? Malvern ?
I want single monks by the way !

Last edited:

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply !
So what lasts of Crockett and jones monks do you advise I should try ? Saville ? Malvern ?

Sorry - I mostly know the 348 for C&J, not really able to give advice on other lasts - have only tried them on. If you Carmina questions, I can help, but not so much for C&J.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received the Chiltern chukka from a UK retailer yesterday in UK7E, which is my size on the 325, 335 and 365 last. At initial try on the 224 last is shorter so the toes are tight especially on my slightly longer left foot. The heel is loose so not sure if these will break in and fit better or whether sizing up to 7.5E, which I wear for the 341 last, will even work. Also noticed on the left toe a lighter/darker spot about the size of the quarter that doesn't brush out. Below are pics of the toe when brushed in two separate directions.

The sizing is a concern but is the spot a reason in itself to return?

IMG_2234.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the Rain and 348. Very similar fit but the Rain has a higher instep. Like you, I have a high instep. The 348 in a monk is too low for me but fine in a lace up. For me, the Rain is a nicer last. Nice chisel but not too extreme. Slightly shorter too.

EUtroll

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply !

If Rain works OK for you, I would go for anything you could find on the old 337-last. Relatively similar lasts and the handgrade leather is so soft and conforming to your foot.

For a singe monk, I believe that would be the Savile, yes.

linds_15

Reaction score
Recent got a pair of brown hallams, for those that use saphir polish, do you use the dark brown or parisian brown?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you guys be open to a GMTO for double monks Harrogate in suede (possibly with double leather soles)? There are plenty of double monks there but Harrogate has a very classic shape that lends itself better to casual wearing and is not too slick like the EG, Lobb and Vass versions. And, it wouldn’t break the bank if we did a group order. It would probably be around $550 after VAT for US customers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads