• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question(s) about Isaia

pkiula

Reaction score
OK. I finally gave in and bought an Isaia suit online. I'm amazed at how close a fit it is to perfection. If I weren't a stickler for fitted suits, this would be it. (A bit like Zegna's Milano, on me.)

Anyway questions for those who have owned Isaia suits.

(1) This is the first time I have seen a suit with no buttons on the sleeve. Nothing. Am I missing something -- are these to be found separately somehow and tailored? I don't even see button holes. Is this an Isaia thing? Hope so.

(2) The shoulder padding is discerningly light. While this feels comfortable, it also leaves a crease on my shoulders. I have perhaps a slightly stronger-than-usual shoulder. Some cheap suits in the past have done this, formed an arching crease on the shoulders. But my Zegna, Corneliani, Canali, and some tailored suits dont do this. Any ideas?

(3) How can I find out which line of Isaia it is? From the threads here, it seems there are different lines. This is an "S" fit.

Thanks!

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check the pockets. Normally buttons are in the pocket of jackets. It makes it easier to fix the sleeve length.

OTOH If you bought it online it may be the buttons were lost. Part of the reason it was cheaper then walking into an Isaia shop and paying full MSRP. If you don't find the buttons go to a fabric shop and buy buttons you like. Have them put on when the sleeve length is done.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
If you don't find the buttons go to a fabric shop and buy buttons you like. Have them put on when the sleeve length is done.

+1

If doing this you should probably change the buttons on the fronts of the coat as well, just so they match, though come to think of it you could have some sprezz-like fun with non-matching buttons...

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkiula
(2) The shoulder padding is discerningly light. While this feels comfortable, it also leaves a crease on my shoulders. I have perhaps a slightly stronger-than-usual shoulder. Some cheap suits in the past have done this, formed an arching crease on the shoulders. But my Zegna, Corneliani, Canali, and some tailored suits dont do this. Any ideas?

(3) How can I find out which line of Isaia it is? From the threads here, it seems there are different lines. This is an "S" fit.

(2): Photos would help. What kind of crease are you talking about? A divot perpendicular to your collarbone? Or a crease running along your shoulder line? Or do you mean the sleevehead is creased where it falls over your shoulder? That would be normal for many Neapolitan makers.

(3) Check the label in the inside pocket. Then do a search for the model type listed there.

Artking3

Reaction score

Thanks!

Isaia is my suit of choice. It fits me almost perfectly OTR. If you like your Isaia a little more fitted, look for the Model Gregory or T, which are more fitted than the Model S. I usually have my Model S suits taken in a bit in the jacket and trousers.

You look at the label. If it is the current two types of red labels, it is the mainline. That seems to be only one line of Isaia currently in production. If your suit is Model S, which is one of the current production Isaia.

If it is a black, gray, or blue label, it is an older suit, and there are 3 lines of Isaia at the time: Enrico Isaia (highest line), Isaia Napoli (main), and Gianluca Napoli (lowest).

Artking3

Reaction score
Thanks!

I also have a slight crease because of my strong shoulders. It took me a while, but now I just ignore it. I don't think there is anything to be done, because of the extremly light padding. All the other suits you mentioned have more built up shoulders so they avoid this problem.

pkiula

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info here.

It's a red label "Isaia Napoli" with a "Base S - 2094PN" written on the in-pocket label. Hopefully this is the mainline of today?

Buttons are in the pocket. My bad. I've always bought the other couture lines from their respective stores, so never come across this :p

Shoulder creasing, it runs like an arc at the back of my neck, like fabric trying to bunch up. Googling turned up this, which is fairly accurate! http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=18256 -- sadly this seems to be caused by a mismatch in the jacket's cut and my shoulders, but I suppose my other known-brand suits have heavier padding as artking3 suggested so it's masked..

After reading all the odes to Isaia around here I'm at least now sure that it's not all it's made out to be ("a totally different cut"...sorry, it's kinda hard to be totally different in the suit world, seriously how many different possibilities are there for one physique?) but one thing I'll say about Isaia -- it feels supple!

Artking3

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info here.

It's a red label "Isaia Napoli" with a "Base S - 2094PN" written on the in-pocket label. Hopefully this is the mainline of today?

Buttons are in the pocket. My bad. I've always bought the other couture lines from their respective stores, so never come across this :p

Shoulder creasing, it runs like an arc at the back of my neck, like fabric trying to bunch up. Googling turned up this, which is fairly accurate! http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=18256 -- sadly this seems to be caused by a mismatch in the jacket's cut and my shoulders, but I suppose my other known-brand suits have heavier padding as artking3 suggested so it's masked..

After reading all the odes to Isaia around here I'm at least now sure that it's not all it's made out to be ("a totally different cut"...sorry, it's kinda hard to be totally different in the suit world, seriously how many different possibilities are there for one physique?) but one thing I'll say about Isaia -- it feels supple!

It sounds like your suit is the current mainline Isaia.

As for the neck bunching up, that is a small problem any decent tailor can fix. I had that problem on some of my suits, which my tailor fixed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads