• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question open for advice for my father

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
just pay some rdm bum to pretend to be him. the kinds dont know what he looks like... that would be mad awkward
I don't think globetrotter is asking advice on this thread so members can make jokes and generally show the maturity of a sixth-grader.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
My mother's father walked out on them when she was like 10, she never saw him again.

He died about 10 years ago. His deathbed request was to see my mother and her sister one more time.

They both declined. I never understood why.

My mother just said 'he has had the last 40 yrs to call me, never did, didnt come to my wedding, didnt send a card when my kids were born or when my husband died, and now just cos he is dying he thinks he has something to say, so I'm supposed to come running...'

Kind of out of character for her, but she has a point, although, I think if I was her, I would have gone and heard him out.

No doubt that stuff cuts deep.

Hope if went well for your old man Zach.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
My mother's father walked out on them when she was like 10, she never saw him again.

He died about 10 years ago. His deathbed request was to see my mother and her sister one more time.

My mother just said 'he has had the last 40 yrs to call me, never did, didnt come to my wedding, didnt send a card when my kids were born or when my husband died, and now just cos he is dying he thinks he has something to say, so I'm supposed to come running...'

Kind of out of character for her, but she has a point, although, I think if I was her, I would have gone and heard him out.

I totally understand your mom, I could never imagine the pain I'd cause or even the guilt of walking out on your own kids.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

thanks - I am waiting to hear.

when I was 14, my dad left me and my mom. he basically said to me (no ****)" you seem to be doing well, there isn't anything more that I can do for you" and left.

at the time, it didn't seem either that bad, or that strange. my sister still doens't talk to my dad, even though she was already in university and out of the house at the time.

I've made my peace with my dad, and I really feel that he has matured a lot over the past decades, he is a different man. he feels really bad about these two "kids" and I think that today is going to be a very hard day for him.

I'll keep posted.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
everything seemed to go well. they didn't kill or kidnap my father. it seems that I have one brother who is taller tahn 6 feet, which would make him the tallest person in my extended family, I am guessing his mother must have huge genes. I also have some newphews and even a great nephew. I imagine that at one point I will meet these people, I am just not sure when. my new siblings are interested in seeing my father again, so he must have done something right.

thanks for your input.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T

this is an emotionally pulling story.

i can imagine and defend your mom. i know the right thing to do was to go see him , but if placed in her shoes i would have probably done the same as your mom. and there should be no guilt.

although that chance to make reparations with a loved one is now forever gone.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad it went well.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good to see it went well. it seems like you may now have a whole new group of people to get to know and build relationships with. nothing bad can really come of that.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
nothing bad can really come of that.

well, they could hit me up for money.....

no, I'm just joking, I don't see a down side, either. thanks for the kind thoughts.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
well, they could hit me up for money.....

no, I'm just joking, I don't see a down side, either. thanks for the kind thoughts.

Good news. Are they in Israel or Europe? This could be an interesting reunion although I'd avoid boxing myself in when visiting them (staying at their place and such...)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Good news. Are they in Israel or Europe? This could be an interesting reunion although I'd avoid boxing myself in when visiting them (staying at their place and such...)

no, they are in a small town in the middle of nowhere. I will visit them, oneday, when I need to be in that area. and I imagine that we will meet for a coffee or a meal, not for any great length of time. maybe we will find stuff in common and to talk about, but I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads