• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Oxxford suit

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to swing by the local Goodwill today and at the end of the suit rack was a really nice suit that had just been put out as it had this weeks color tag for $5.99. A good price, if ya ask me. It's a 2 button Oxxford for Hubert White in Minneapolis. Looks pretty new, due to the higher lapel notch and the inner tags. Also came with the Oxxford hanger. When I was walking up to the register a pair of trousers fell out. This suit seemed to have two pairs of pants. Both identical except one had the Oxxford label in it (see pic) and one didn't. Both are flat front too. Jacket has 4 functional cuff buttons. Only flaw is the bottom button of the jacket is missing, but I have some other beat up Oxxford coats I can use a button from. My question is, does Oxxford make odd trousers? I'm sort of baffled here as the trousers are in the same material as the other pair and the jacket. Also, I'm not a 2-button suit person and I am looking to flip this suit. What can I except price-wise from this? The inner tag reads:

Oxxford Clothes
Terrance Carlson
Store 38-0
Order # 054454 - 7854489
SPL
09/22/03 CP
Oxxford Evening I

P6200001.jpg

P6200002.jpg

P6200005.jpg

P6200013.jpg

P6200014.jpg

P6200016.jpg

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
Weird. Oxxford does indeed make odd pants, and so far as I know, only the odd pants will have that Oxxford label in it. Probably what happened is that the first pair of pants were tagged as suit pants normally would have been (i.e., no Oxxford tag) and the additional pair was tagged as odd pants normally would (i.e. with the tag).

That appears to be a remarkable find, btw. The suit indeed is a fairly recent vintage. Terrance Carlson is the man it was made for (this was a Made to Measure suit) and it was from 2003.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
BTW, Terrance Carlson is the Vice President and legal counsel for Medtronic, Inc., a major manufacturer of medical devices. I think he's still alive, since he was signing Medtronic filings as recently as January 2007. So, I'm not sure how or why that suit ended up in Goodwill after only a few years in Mr. Carlson's closet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Very, very nice find. I imagine he just ordered an extra pair of pants with it. What are the measurements like? Does it seem to be a regular size or have oddities been accounted for in the cut? (e.g., a dropped shoulder, an unusual proportion, or something else that would lead one to do MTM)

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dont look a gift horse in the mouth.
have your tailor check it for fit.
also have him put on a new set of horn buttons.
enjoy your loot.

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
I have a question: did you find this suit in Minneapolis?

I am interested in it if you decide to get rid of it, you can PM me.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, you'd be lucky to get even $50 for it. That being the case, I'll take it off your hands for $60!

mohwld

Reaction score
I have a better idea. For someone who lives in Minneapolis, contact Mr. Carlson and offer to take his clothes he would otherwise donate to the thrift shop, and in turn, you will make a donation straight to his favorite cause (or whatever cause his thrift shop represents)

That's what can be called a true "win-win". Vice Presidents love that kind of stuff.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found it at the **** Rapids, Minn. location of the goodwill, about 3 miles from my home. The jacket fits like a 42R, but he must be tall as the pants are pretty long, maybe a 36" inseam. I'm debating on getting it tailored for myself but if you want it, send me a PM with an offer, as I have quite a few Oxxford suits already from my thrifting trips and don't have much room in my closet!
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics