Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question about Slim Fit vs Regular Fit Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otpad33, Aug 26, 2012.

1. otpad33

otpad33 New Member

I have a question. What is the difference between buying a slim fit suit or just buying a smaller size regular fit suit. Wouldn't it be the same thing?

2. saiyar1

saiyar1 Senior member

No. Someone who is very slim can still have very similar arm length and shoulder width as a bulky person. They each need a suit cut to their shape.

3. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

OP. go try one of each on and report back to us. You should have your answer. Shoulder fit is the most important measurement on RTW and the most difficult to alter. If you size down below your true size, the shoulders will be too small. That said, most people today buy their suits too large to begin with.

4. otpad33

otpad33 New Member

Ok. Another question. Does it make a difference buying a regular fit or slim fit suit if youre gonna get it tailored in the waist anyways? Is there some other parts of the suit that tend to be more slim on the slim fit?

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The waist is slimmer on a slim fit (crazy, right? ) and the jacket is often shorter. It all depends on the manufacturer, however. You need to try on some suits or at least tell us what makes you are considering.

6. StumpjumperE

StumpjumperE Senior member

I also have noticed that with some slim fit suits, the sleeves are also a bit more snug, which I prefer.

7. md2010

md2010 Senior member

On a smaller size suit if you are lucky to get the shoulder right , then it might work. I have tried this on few blazers some works really well. I am a regular us 34R and slim 36R. For me regular us34R fits perfect if the shoulder is greater than 15.5”. Its always good idea to try them on. Different brands have different measurements. Even same brands have different cuts and different amount of padding on the shoulder that could alter the fit. I have 2 sc from rugby both on slim 36R . Both are same cut Newbury where one is loose fit another one a bit tight around shoulder. For some brands slim36R is no go for me. Its big everywhere.

8. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

You're giving the tags too much thought. They don't mean shit. One maker's slim fit is another maker's roomy fit. To say nothing of how variable chest sizes are.

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

^Exactly... some makers only make a slim fit, so that is their regular fit.

Now I think I know what kind of suits the OP is talking about, and the difference is all in the cut, around the waist and shoulders, as well as small differences in lapels, sleeve length and jacket length.

It all depends on who you are buying from in the end

10. imanewbie

imanewbie Senior member

slim fit only works if your body is slim. Do not try to wear a slim fit suit if your 300lbs or something of the sort.

11. LordEmbellish

LordEmbellish New Member

you should really be getting one tailored to your body shape as many have expressed on this thread a man may be of the slim & slender build but have the same arm length of the gentleman buying the regular fit. So to answer your question precisely no.. they are not the same thing.

Lord EM.