• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Shirt Interlining for Collar and Cuffs

yiyiinterlining

Reaction score
hi, there. This is Dean Chee from Nantong Yiyi Interlining Co.,Ltd, which is a professional interlining company.If there is any quesiton ,i can help!

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're using traditional methods it's not harder, just different. It's actually probably easier, except for turning the points (look at Mercer's collar points in every picture of their shirts you ever see...). But the online MTM shops probably use various industrial automatons--cad software, collar turner/trimmers, whatever, I don't really know, that may not be easily adapted to it. I bet any of them could do it if they really wanted to, though.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cronicmole
its good 2 see old threads pop up sometimes. Means people are using the search function.

Spoken like a person who has more than 90 posts.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
Question:

Does NOT using interlining add any complexity to the making of the shirt? I ask because I am having a difficult time finding online tailors who will make shirts with no interlining in the collar and cuffs.

Do you mean fused interlining or no interlining whatsoever? If the latter, I'm not sure that's possible. If the former, then the interlining must be sewn together. Thus, adding to the labor and complexity involved. Fusing just requires glue and whatever else is needed to ensure a proper set.

evilbananas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
If you're using traditional methods it's not harder, just different. It's actually probably easier, except for turning the points (look at Mercer's collar points in every picture of their shirts you ever see...). But the online MTM shops probably use various industrial automatons--cad software, collar turner/trimmers, whatever, I don't really know, that may not be easily adapted to it. I bet any of them could do it if they really wanted to, though.

I find it interesting that you can buy a cheap shirt from Gap, J Crew, etc. that has no interlining, and then be told it is overly difficult from an online MTM. You would think the equipment they use would be similar, and make the process as simple as possible. If the process was overly difficult, I'm sure these mall brands would always do a fused collar instead of their current offerings. But like you said, it is likely going to come down to the process they use.

duzichong

Reaction score
OMG, it is unbelievable to Kabbaz's post show such useful items to others. Perheps something, the collar manufacturing process etc., is secrect to some other tailors so thanks to Kabbaz and that let me know so much thing deep about shirts making.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there are no secrets.

most mtm companies do not want to make unlined collars, because they usually look sloppy. they also usually fuse the collar bands
it should only be done with heavier oxfords. otherwise the shirt collar will look like the studd from the gap. some of these so called unlined collars do use a very lightweight fusable.

both types of constructions have advantages as well as disadvantages.
both can be made either lightweight or stiffer.
low prices mtm shirts use cheap fusables.
better shirtmakers use better linings
the better brands are wendler, gygli, and stotz. these brands can be as much as 5 times
the price of the cheap stuff

the button downs I have made for manton werelined with pinpoit oxford. these
have no starch, so are much softer. cleaner look then an unlined buttondown

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
[...] they also usually fuse the collar bands
it should only be done with heavier oxfords. otherwise the shirt collar will look like the studd from the gap.
[...]

So what's the rationale for fusing the collar band? I always thought you're supposed to keep those parts of the shirt that touch skin nice and soft.

the button downs I have made for manton werelined with pinpoit oxford. these
have no starch, so are much softer. cleaner look then an unlined buttondown
That sounds like a great idea. Are there any downsides to this, e.g., is the collar noticeably thicker?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The interfacing on the collar band is attached to the outside, not the inside part that contacts your skin. Why? It's easier to make and looks neater.

The concern about unlined collars is mostly about what commercial laundries will do to them. If you iron it yourself you should be careful of the points and careful when you stretch the leaf, but, otherwise, they're pretty darn tough even with medium weight fabrics. Insist on an unlined collar so you can try it. Brooks Brothers made them for like 70 years and some makers still do. I love 'em for buttondowns.

Shirtmaven's right that most soft collars on ready-to-wear shirts actually use very soft fusibles, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads