• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality of Brooks Brothers and Jos A Bank Slimfit Shirts

kenquick

Reaction score
I am also a fan of the BB shirts and would love to know how people get them for $30 each. I can only seem to find them at retail $80. Please let me know if you have any advice on finding them for less.

Thanks
Ken

shawnd64

Reaction score
I can usually find them for around $40 from a factory store.

People say that 346 line is crappy... But I think buying a Brooks Brothers 346 shirt for $40 that I wear to work beats a factory store shirt from the gap at $45!

I see slim fits in the factory all the time, I have three factory story slim fit shirts... All of them btw are the iron shirt... not non-iron!

sirseitz

Reaction score
I currently have a group of shirts from lands end and brooks brothers in my shop for tapering - The side seams on all of the shirts are "glued" or "fused" with tape. they are impossible to take apart and re-create a beautiful flat felled seam. They will have an area just above the arm seam where the alteration will not flow together well.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
My only complaint with the BB shirts is that even the slim-fit is too big and billowy. Do any companies make non-iron in a slimmer fit?

BB also makes an extra-slim fit. Therefore, they have Traditional, Regular, Slim and Extra-Slim fits for men.

jussumguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sirseitz
I currently have a group of shirts from lands end and brooks brothers in my shop for tapering - The side seams on all of the shirts are "glued" or "fused" with tape. they are impossible to take apart and re-create a beautiful flat felled seam. They will have an area just above the arm seam where the alteration will not flow together well.

This is my biggest complaint with my bb non-irons. The side seams are so stiff that they just don't "lay" naturally when tucked in. They scallop in and out like a wave, creating a sloppy silhouette.

lovejosabank

Reaction score
I love the JOS A BANK traveler line, however, I wish they made an athletic fit traveler shirt.
The tailored fit is too tight in my shoulders, arms, and chest, and the regular fit is way too
baggy in the waist. For now I have to buy the regular fit and spend $10 a shirt to have the
waist taken in. I guess they may not sell enough of the athletic fit to make it worth it.
I've never tried BB, but I'm about to buy just one to test the waters. I'll let you know.

rich

lovejosabank

Reaction score
I also wish Jos A Bank made a tailored or slim fit in big sizes.
I guess they think everyone who has a big neck has a large
waist. Not true!

lovejosabank

Reaction score
The large yoke that Jos Bank and also Stafford shirts have is
so the shirt doesn't come apart at the seams. It
makes for a stronger shirt. I like it.

JShreve

Reaction score
I will second the call for athletic cuts. Even athletic cuts are way too big in the waist and hips. I like the fit of the Stafford shirts the best, though they don't have the best materials. I have a JaB signature tailored fit and I really like the material, but it is much larger than the Stafford athletic of the same size. I just recently started a tour of moderately priced online mtm sites. I've started with the cheaper ones to adjust the shirt dimensions so any early mistakes are relatively cheap. For people with big necks, I need a 17.75 inch collar to not feel like I am slowly choking. mtm really looks like the best choice.

Dray

Reaction score
Bought a BB slim fit non-iron white shirt last year. Took a while to try it and after a single wash the front shoulder piece seam came completely loose on one side. BB do not offer refund or even replace with a like-for-like shirt if it is washed. To be fair it was a while until I went back to the shop to complain, and by then I no longer had the receipt. Anyway, not a happy experience; once bitten twice shy.

informer

Reaction score
I have checked with Jos A Banks customer service... they replied that their wrinkle free shirts ARE TREATED WITH FORMALEDHYDE. The rep told me they fall within the PPM limits allowed, and are often less.

astrocyte

Reaction score
I have checked with Jos A Banks customer service... they replied that their wrinkle free shirts ARE TREATED WITH FORMALEDHYDE. The rep told me they fall within the PPM limits allowed, and are often less.

Yeah...but what are you going to do? My friend is a scientist and he said that Turnbull and Asser shirts absorb and hold dihydrogen monoxide from the atmosphere and that Charvet shirts are made ENTIRELY from chemicals!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads