• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality belts

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS,Jan. 25 2005,14:24
Cartier American Tank. Simple, refined, reversible black / brown. Jon.
Jon, Can you post a picture of your belt? I've never actually seen a Cartier belt, and I've been curious since you mention it from time to time. Thanks. Ryan
It looks like this, minus the two extra black / brown loops which have been added to the newer versions.
cartier-L500058box.jpg
Jon.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've a Brioni reversible in brown and black, and a Mark Cross in black lizardskin and brown smooth leather.
okay. so my question is, if reversibles are just as good, why doesn't everyone buy them? 2 belts for the price of one. or at the very least you take up less closet space.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have a good reversible belt, but from what I can tell, belts get 'worn in' in a certain direction. They get a bit bent (U-shaped), develop a crease where the buckle goes, curl in the usual direction of wrap. Reversing them would cause these things to make the belt awkward (e.g. the end would stick out away from one's body). Also, all the reversible belts I've seen are very boring looking, at least the strap, as they have to be symmetrical.

I await the inevitable corrections of my generalizations.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with J. If you tend to wear, say black, much more than the brown side, the belt will stretch unevenly. It results in a weird, downward pitch in the buckle when you're wearing the brown side.

Similarly, if you buckle the belt at the smallest loop, the long tab tends to stick straight out when you switch sides, rather than hug the side of your body.

Finally, the swiveling buckles are prone to breakage, whereas a regular buckle will almost always last a lifetime.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally, the swiveling buckles are prone to breakage, whereas a regular buckle will almost always last a lifetime.
And that, my friends, is the truth. A belt is not the most expensive thing to buy, nor the bulkiest to carry on trips. I'd rather have 2 good belts than one mediocre one
smile.gif

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For more fashon belts:

Baltazar
Hollywood Trading Company (a little ubiquitous)
Red Monkey

There are lots of indie companies in LA I'll write about tomorrow, time permitting.
re: indy companies. Interesting. Do write if you have time.

In general, I've been following the fate of leather manufacturing in this country of late. Their seems to be a resurgence in tanneries in the USA after a lot of stuff going to Mexico and Indian and Pak. I don't know if the tanning methods have changed because of OSHA and environmental laws or what, but this rather surprised me, the resurgence, that is.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone recommend Alden belts? What do you think of cordovan belts versus calfskin?
No -- but I will order one at some point.

I've bought some of their leather goods and have been very impressed.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
And that, my friends, is the truth. A belt is not the most expensive thing to buy, nor the bulkiest to carry on trips. I'd rather have 2 good belts than one mediocre one
smile.gif

do you mean 2 mediocre ones instead of one good one?

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wana Designs on Bond St.

Siggy

Reaction score
I have an Alden cordovan belt size 34. It is a very well made and high quality belt from what appears to be three pieces of shell cordovan stitched together, with a simple brass buckel. I can recommend it but it is quite expensive, I think about $150 or so.

singlechange

Reaction score
Had some luck on ebay with these dress belts. For dress belts I mostly prefer smaller width at 1.25 inches. Going clockwise from the right: Valextra, chocolate brown suede, Italy; David Yurman, black calf, U.S.A.; RDM, brown crocodile, sterling, U.S.A.; Jaguar, black snake skin, France; Tiffany, brown alligator, sterling, U.S.A. The David Yurman was acquired at an outlet store and rest on ebay. Good luck.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plain and quality and relatively inexpensive. Allen-Edmonds.

I received a very expensive Ferragamo belt as a gift and the quality is just awful. If you want to go more expensive, try JM Weston. Amazing leather and tanning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads