1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Quality belts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fuuma, Jan 25, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

And that, my friends, is the truth. A belt is not the most expensive thing to buy, nor the bulkiest to carry on trips. I'd rather have 2 good belts than one mediocre one [​IMG]

2. Horace

Horace Senior member

re: indy companies. Interesting. Do write if you have time.

In general, I've been following the fate of leather manufacturing in this country of late. Their seems to be a resurgence in tanneries in the USA after a lot of stuff going to Mexico and Indian and Pak. I don't know if the tanning methods have changed because of OSHA and environmental laws or what, but this rather surprised me, the resurgence, that is.

3. Horace

Horace Senior member

No -- but I will order one at some point.

I've bought some of their leather goods and have been very impressed.

4. iroh

iroh Senior member

And that, my friends, is the truth. A belt is not the most expensive thing to buy, nor the bulkiest to carry on trips. I'd rather have 2 good belts than one mediocre one [​IMG]

do you mean 2 mediocre ones instead of one good one?

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Wana Designs on Bond St.

6. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Pickett has been mentioned before on The London Lounge - www.pickett.co.uk. Does anyone know who the beltmaker is for Pickett?

7. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

I have an Alden cordovan belt size 34. It is a very well made and high quality belt from what appears to be three pieces of shell cordovan stitched together, with a simple brass buckel. I can recommend it but it is quite expensive, I think about $150 or so.

8. singlechange

singlechange Senior member

Had some luck on ebay with these dress belts. For dress belts I mostly prefer smaller width at 1.25 inches. Going clockwise from the right: Valextra, chocolate brown suede, Italy; David Yurman, black calf, U.S.A.; RDM, brown crocodile, sterling, U.S.A.; Jaguar, black snake skin, France; Tiffany, brown alligator, sterling, U.S.A. The David Yurman was acquired at an outlet store and rest on ebay. Good luck.

9. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Plain and quality and relatively inexpensive. Allen-Edmonds.

I received a very expensive Ferragamo belt as a gift and the quality is just awful. If you want to go more expensive, try JM Weston. Amazing leather and tanning.

10. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

Does anyone know who the English artisan beltmakers are out there?

11. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Filson makes decent belts and the price won't kill you.

13. misterjase

misterjase Senior member

i have the impression that there is a prevalence of American artisan beltmakers - online at least. not so the English artisan beltmakers.

14. CodeRed

CodeRed Senior member

No -- but I will order one at some point.

I've bought some of their leather goods and have been very impressed.

Aldens cord belts are top notch, usually a wait to get one, but well worth it. I like mine a lot.