• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality Australian brands?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got myself an Akubra field hat and am quite impressed with the quality, considering that it was made in the 21st century. Any other Oz brands I should know about?
bigstar[1].gif

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder that myself. Especially brands like Saba, Calibre, Jack London.

I do like the quality of some Country Road and Sportscraft items although for me the sizing is a bit big for me to buy much from them in terms of any clothing for upper body (I tried on XS size CR shirt and the shoulders still too wide). I have couple of pairs of CR sneakers and they are really durable. I also have a sportscraft pure wool vest that's been holding up very well since I bought it 5 years ago.

I have a shirt from Oxford - it's rubbish. Also steer clear of Politix. I almost vomited when I saw they want almost $300 for a polyester suit jacket.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blundstone, for their great and affordable streetwear bad weather beater boots.

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bonds I still like, i dont care where they're made

And dont even get me started on red wine.. Big ballsy VIC/SA reds.. hmmm

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I have a shirt from Oxford - it's rubbish. Also steer clear of Politix. I almost vomited when I saw they want almost $300 for a polyester suit jacket.

I have an Oxford shirt from their 'luxury' line with fabric from some Italian mill whose names escapes me..its fantastic.

Having said that, a herringbone weaved shirt from their standard line is showing a bit too much wear considering its less than one year old.

What makes Oxford attractive is that they've basically been on non-stop sale for the past year and they have a generous VIP program. I picked up a nice cotton/cashmere purple raglan jumper for $30 during winter.

I have a few Austen Brothers shirts. Yes they have fused collars but they are very durable. I have a luxury twill shirt has lasted very well and is good value at $80 IMO.

Country Road can be hit and miss. However they do have good sales, VIP programs and returns policies.

And as for Politix - you should see what they charge for suits!!
facepalm.gif

Basically I use Australian brands for 'basics' (i.e. everyday shirts, jumpers, work pants) but for big ticket items (i.e. suits, fancy shirts, shoes etc.) I'll buy O/S brands.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads