• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein=acne?

mikeman

Reaction score
So I started taking protein again(bsn syntha 6) and It seems that my face has been breaking out.I dont know if its just a coincidence or what? Has this happened to anyone else ?

aleeboy

Reaction score
I believe you may be allergic/sensitive to certain ingredients in the product. I used to take GNC Mega Whey about 5 years ago, and this caused me to outbreak a lot. I now take ON 100% Whey and have had no such out breaks. It's a matter of experimentation and finding what's best for you.

I have tried the BSN product you mentioned, and it made me bloated. Didn't take it long enough to see if it causes outbreaks as it was a sample.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is a correlation between taking protein and getting acne. When people are taking protein they are also working out and lifting and the body producing more testosterone which can lead to acne.

e23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I doubt there is a correlation between taking protein and getting acne. When people are taking protein they are also working out and lifting and the body producing more testosterone which can lead to acne.

Exactly. I thought this for a while too but it's normal because of the extra testosterone.

aleeboy

Reaction score

So how do you explain working and not taking protein and not getting pimples?

I believe some people can have some reaction in their body to certain ingredients that makes them breakout.

mikeman

Reaction score
So if it is just because of the extra testosterone,do you think that it will eventually even out(if that makes sense ) if i keep working out? Also after reading that link,do you guys take protein or just get it form things like fish and meat?

e23

Reaction score
No one knows the exact causes of acne. I stopped taking all that whey stuff just eat whole foods instead.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I try to get most of my protein from foods - meats and dairy. If I am short for the day, I will supplement with a shake or too. Having said this, I always have a PWO shake with protein powder and milk.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Something that is usually a good habit in doing is not touch your face with your hands. There is a lot of bacteria that we get in touch with daily. You don't need to get obsessed with it, just avoid and do not touch your face without washing your hands
teacha.gif
smiley2.gif

mikey34

Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by e23
Exactly. I thought this for a while too but it's normal because of the extra testosterone.

Ditto on what they said, and also it you changed the amount of calories your consuming that could have an affect as well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
many studies have shown there is virtually no link between breakouts and what you eat...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads