• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Protein=acne?

mikeman

Reaction score
So I started taking protein again(bsn syntha 6) and It seems that my face has been breaking out.I dont know if its just a coincidence or what? Has this happened to anyone else ?

aleeboy

Reaction score
I believe you may be allergic/sensitive to certain ingredients in the product. I used to take GNC Mega Whey about 5 years ago, and this caused me to outbreak a lot. I now take ON 100% Whey and have had no such out breaks. It's a matter of experimentation and finding what's best for you.

I have tried the BSN product you mentioned, and it made me bloated. Didn't take it long enough to see if it causes outbreaks as it was a sample.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt there is a correlation between taking protein and getting acne. When people are taking protein they are also working out and lifting and the body producing more testosterone which can lead to acne.

e23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
I doubt there is a correlation between taking protein and getting acne. When people are taking protein they are also working out and lifting and the body producing more testosterone which can lead to acne.

Exactly. I thought this for a while too but it's normal because of the extra testosterone.

aleeboy

Reaction score

So how do you explain working and not taking protein and not getting pimples?

I believe some people can have some reaction in their body to certain ingredients that makes them breakout.

mikeman

Reaction score
So if it is just because of the extra testosterone,do you think that it will eventually even out(if that makes sense ) if i keep working out? Also after reading that link,do you guys take protein or just get it form things like fish and meat?

e23

Reaction score
No one knows the exact causes of acne. I stopped taking all that whey stuff just eat whole foods instead.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I try to get most of my protein from foods - meats and dairy. If I am short for the day, I will supplement with a shake or too. Having said this, I always have a PWO shake with protein powder and milk.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Something that is usually a good habit in doing is not touch your face with your hands. There is a lot of bacteria that we get in touch with daily. You don't need to get obsessed with it, just avoid and do not touch your face without washing your hands

mikey34

Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by e23
Exactly. I thought this for a while too but it's normal because of the extra testosterone.

Ditto on what they said, and also it you changed the amount of calories your consuming that could have an affect as well.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 255 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.7%
  • 31 - 40