1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Proper shirt sleeve length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by josepidal, Apr 13, 2006.

1. josepidal

josepidal Distinguished Member

I've been having problems with one out of every two shirts I take to my alterations tailor to adjust the sleeve length. Some shirts end up a tad blousy in the sleeve, and I put it down to the sleeve still being half an inch or an inch too long.

But what, to be absolutely sure, is the proper length?

I've been instructing them to shorten the shirts to the end of the "v" formed by your thumb and pointing finger.

Is this right, or should it be halfway between the end of this "v" and the hinge of your wrist?

Or should it be at the hinge of your wrist (or is this for suits)?

2. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

The end of the "v" is way too long. And the wristbone too short. The shirt sleeves should be a bit longer, enough so that you show some cuff with a coat and that it does not pull up when you bend your arm. This will get rid of some of the excess fabric you are experiencing but perhaps the sleeves need to be slimmer and/or more tapered, too.

3. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Shirt sleeve should be long enough to cover your wrist bone, but does not cover base of hand.

4. josepidal

josepidal Distinguished Member

To clarify, then, would it be fair to say that a suit sleeve goes to the hinge of your wrist, and a dress shirt sleeve goes about half an inch past the hinge of your wrist? I need to strange my alterations tailor then.