• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Presenting at a scientific conference

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of scientific conference is this? Where will be it take place?

I'm in the medical field and almost everyone wears a full suit when presenting at the larger conferences. I would think that at other conferences that are research centered, a shirt/sportcoat will more than suffice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If the hotel is a golf resort or near a Disney neighborhood, dress down. Golf and beach resorts tend to make the attendees more casual. Places where the wife and kids are likely to be there do the same.
+1. I've noticed over the years that people tend to dress down for conferences at a resort or a resort city such as San Juan and Phoenix, but they dress up when it is in a major city such as Boston, DC, and NYC.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
According to the last conference I attended you should make sure nothing you wear fits.
nod[1].gif

... most delegates will not give a toss what people are dressed like, it is what they say that matters.

Mostly, not even that...
What type of scientific conference is this? Where will be it take place?

I'm in the medical field and almost everyone wears a full suit when presenting at the larger conferences. I would think that at other conferences that are research centered, a shirt/sportcoat will more than suffice.

Yeah, I've been to both and would agree.

At a medical conference it's generally suit & tie if presenting. It might not fit, but it's still...

At pure science conferences it's business casual. I don't think there's any harm wearing a suit without a tie, even in that setting though. Probably a fairly casual suit in a solid and something textured like linen if you're somewhere nice.

Anyway, congrats to the OP; enjoy!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's an antenna/electronics conference in Chicago, if that helps.

Congratulations! As an undergraduate presenter, I assume you have a research adviser or mentor? If so, I would ask them because they would probably be more familiar with the atmosphere. If you conducted your research independently, then my sincere apologies and :worship2:

I regularly attend and try to present at clinical/research conferences and the majority fit the business casual look: blazer/sport coat and trousers, shirt and tie, etc. Some wear suits (myself being one) but for me it is a personal preference since I have more suits than odd pieces.

I did dress down when we had a conference in Acapulco... and I think Hawaii is next year :slayer:

My advice is to be comfortable in whatever you'll be wearing. Good luck with your career and I wish I had more students with as much determination as you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads