1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Presenting at a scientific conference

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by temperest, Jun 5, 2012.

Tags:
  1. temperest

temperest New Member

I'm an undergrad presenting at a big international scientific conference in a month or so (around 1000+ attendees) and I'm trying to figure out what to wear - should I just go with a jacket/shirt/slacks/tie or should I go all out and buy a new suit? I'm giving a 15 minute talk in one of the 18 or so rooms. I'm presenting on the first day so no time to scope out what others will be wearing. I'm probably going business casual for the remainder of the conference.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

This varies a bit from conference to conference and field by field, but:

In general, few people will be wearing ties. Fewer will be wearing suits. It's usually just the plenary lecturer types, the main events. You'll be fine with jacket and slacks, even khakis. A lot of people attending but not presenting likely will just have a buttonup and pants, even just a polo shirt.

You can always wear a tie if you want, won't take anything away from you. A suit is probably too much.

3. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

According to the last conference I attended you should make sure nothing you wear fits.

Otherwise since its a 15 minute talk just wear a slacks, blazer, tie and shirt. They should be focused on what you have to say, or at least I would think you would want them to be..

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Slacks, maybe a blazer. Conferences of this size and nature are usually pretty informal and most delegates will not give a toss what people are dressed like, it is what they say that matters.

5. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

A nod to GBR. Speakers usually wear slacks, blazers or sportscoat.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

One of the fairly active academics on SF wears a deerstalker with an Inverness cape, or white Kiton jean pants with a red leather Ferrari jacket.

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

As someone who presents at similar conferences in economics pretty often, previous responses are spot on. Many will even forgo the blazer. I have even seen people present in a t-shirt (although these people were more established, not sure if they did the same as a junior researcher). For you as an undergrad, it's a good idea to err on the side of more conservative and wear a blazer. If you're not presenting in the first session on the first day, you can bring a tie just in case and put it on before your presentation in case you feel it is needed.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Well done my friend, well done! You are doing something amazing. Most people do not even get a chance to present a publication until they at least start a Ph.D. and even then, getting a paper accepted is quite an ordeal. Your work must be very noteworthy, and I wish you every success in your endeavors.

Regarding attire, I have presented many times at these conferences. The standard of dress is one where a suit and tie is overly formal. Even business casual may err more on the formal side here, but I would go business casual.

I personally go by:
    Slacks
    Sport Coat
    Solid color shirt or lightly patterned
    Tie is optional, but I usually wear a fairly conservative tie at these events
    Shoes, keep simple, i.e. captoes.

All you now need is confidence and conviction, and you will breeze through the presentation. Keep everything simple, elegant and uncomplicated (dress and presentation).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  9. bluetree110

bluetree110 Senior member

Generally speaking everyone will be poorly dressed. Simply having something that fits will make you in the upper echelon in terms of style, but I would also suggest a sportcoat and khakis. Depends to some extent on what field of research you are presenting in though. While doing basic science research many people looked completely ridiculous, but having moved in to a different field (head and neck surgery), most presenters in this field will wear a suit.

10. jsanders65

jsanders65 Active Member

I agree on the comments here suit and tie would be considered too formal for this event. Good luck with the conference!

11. scypticalchymist

scypticalchymist Active Member

I agree with the previous posters, but at conferences I have attended (materials/chemistry) a good number of people wear a suit, especially those from industry. I would not feel out of place wearing a suit as a presenter, but a jacket and slacks is certainly enough and it isn't worth buying a suit just for a conference (although you'll need one eventually). Best of luck.

12. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Odd jacket and a nice pair of trousers. Button down top button open, pocket square. To conference folk you will be the second coming of Carey Grant.

13. temperest

temperest New Member

Okay, seems everyone is agreed. Thanks for the suggestions.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Try not to take off your pents.
    [​IMG]

15. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior member

If the hotel is a golf resort or near a Disney neighborhood, dress down. Golf and beach resorts tend to make the attendees more casual. Places where the wife and kids are likely to be there do the same.

16. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

What type of scientific conference is this? Where will be it take place?

I'm in the medical field and almost everyone wears a full suit when presenting at the larger conferences. I would think that at other conferences that are research centered, a shirt/sportcoat will more than suffice.

17. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I've noticed over the years that people tend to dress down for conferences at a resort or a resort city such as San Juan and Phoenix, but they dress up when it is in a major city such as Boston, DC, and NYC.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG]
    Mostly, not even that...
    Yeah, I've been to both and would agree.

At a medical conference it's generally suit & tie if presenting. It might not fit, but it's still...

At pure science conferences it's business casual. I don't think there's any harm wearing a suit without a tie, even in that setting though. Probably a fairly casual suit in a solid and something textured like linen if you're somewhere nice.

Anyway, congrats to the OP; enjoy!

19. temperest

temperest New Member

It's an antenna/electronics conference in Chicago, if that helps.

20. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Congratulations! As an undergraduate presenter, I assume you have a research adviser or mentor? If so, I would ask them because they would probably be more familiar with the atmosphere. If you conducted your research independently, then my sincere apologies and :worship2:

I regularly attend and try to present at clinical/research conferences and the majority fit the business casual look: blazer/sport coat and trousers, shirt and tie, etc. Some wear suits (myself being one) but for me it is a personal preference since I have more suits than odd pieces.

I did dress down when we had a conference in Acapulco... and I think Hawaii is next year :slayer:

My advice is to be comfortable in whatever you'll be wearing. Good luck with your career and I wish I had more students with as much determination as you!