• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-shave oils

jleeo225

Reaction score
For those of you that use pre-shave oils, are you supposed to apply the oil over a wet face or should your face/beard area be dry? Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
For those of you that use pre-shave oils, are you supposed to apply the oil over a wet face or should your face/beard area be dry? Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

I wouldn't use them at all. I tend to get worse results when using one. It seems that the oil stops the whiskers from absorbing water.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More damp than wet. Too much water and it dilutes the oil so it doesn't really do it's job. I very lightly pat dry, the idea is to get the excess water droplets off my face without drying the hairs as much as possible.

jleeo225

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I'm still trying to figure out whether the shave oil is helping or not. I currently use the Art of Shaving Cream (lavender), and recently started trying the accompanying oil.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jleeo225
Thanks for all the comments. I'm still trying to figure out whether the shave oil is helping or not. I currently use the Art of Shaving Cream (lavender), and recently started trying the accompanying oil.

It's a personal thing, some people swear by it, some people think it actually has a negative effect. Actually, at the prompting of this thread, I busted out my Truefitt & Hill shave oil, which isn't a thick as AOS's and has a nice subtle citrus scent to it that I haven't used in a while. I think it improved my shave comfort-wise, especially over the neck area (and therefore I got a little closer shave), but I'm not sure it's worth the cost. A bottle of that stuff is about $18 and I can't see it lasting more than 25-30 shaves. I think I might just save it for special occasions.

Another thing you can try is using a dollop of it in your lather, which adds a little more protection to the cream. Some people do this with olive oil or Cornhusker's lotion as well.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For daily shaving - no oils.

For 3+ days growth - yes oils.

That's just me though, I don't find enough of a difference for almost daily shaving, but when you have some real scruff going, it does make the shave considerably smoother.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, I find the oil helps more on the daily shaves, and is less necessary when you have some scruff, healed face, oil built up from not shaving.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riddle me this, what's the difference between "pre-shave oil" and the natural oils on your face that you wash off prior to applying said pre-shave oil?

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
Riddle me this, what's the difference between "pre-shave oil" and the natural oils on your face that you wash off prior to applying said pre-shave oil?

You can add more and control how much is there better?

I don't wash my face before I shave and I don't recommend that anyone does, precisely because it does wash off the natural oils.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've tried dozens of pre-shave oils with average results. I suggest you buy yourself some Nioxin hair conditioner and slather that on your face before you apply shaving cream.

Sounds weird but it works extremely well.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I don't wash my face before I shave and I don't recommend that anyone does, precisely because it does wash off the natural oils.

Also allows you to grind some of that dirt, dead skin cells, and general funk into any shave related cuts
wink.gif

Really, if you use a good enough shave cream and a brush, there shouldn't be any need for pre-shave oils or crazy systems and other such nonsense unless you have a particularly tough beard, or crazy sensitive skin.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Also allows you to grind some of that dirt, dead skin cells, and general funk into any shave related cuts
wink.gif

Really, if you use a good enough shave cream and a brush, there shouldn't be any need for pre-shave oils or crazy systems and other such nonsense unless you have a particularly tough beard, or crazy sensitive skin.

I'm not sure which you're advocating here. Are you arguing in favor of washing your face before shaving?

As for the latter, I have very sensitive skin and a wiry beard. I think pre-shave oil is something to try when your just starting out in this wetshaving thing---it'll be pretty clear whether it works for you or not. But I wouldn't steer people away from it who are just starting out, because it has helped me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads