• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Practical Exoskeletal Armor Of The Future?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Man, was I tempted to put this in the "Men's Clothing" forum...
smile.gif

hs15587621ei2.jpg

hs15587622pl8.jpg

http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NAS...=1014656511815

The dude is nuts, but if he can really produce these things en masse for the government for around $2000 a peice as he's claiming, I can see these things being very practical. Perhaps not for the standard infantry, but special forces guys should eat this stuff up. Never underestimate the psychological impact of a dozen or so dudes clad like this being deployed into a hostile zone. The future is now kids!

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the new Half-Life 3? Damn those graphics are lmaking you look older, Gordon.

I prefer Huntsman's look, personally.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Perhaps not for the standard infantry, but special forces guys should eat this stuff up. Never underestimate the psychological impact of a dozen or so dudes clad like this being deployed into a hostile zone. The future is now kids!

special forces = light infantry.

this might be good for riot police, or something like that.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So he transforms into some kind of tool, I take it...

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, special forces, if anything, would have even less use for for this. The design is silly and not really viable right now, but the core concept is solid, and a streamlined design could potentially make this quite viable for mechanized infantry and similar units. Maybe door kickers, though I imagine the concept's significant limitations are most apparent in CQB.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
special forces = light infantry.

this might be good for riot police, or something like that.

Stormtroopers... heh

If that thing is impervious to an elephant gun... I wonder if it'd hold up to a .308 or 50 cal round. The real question is if it could withstand an IED.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Yeah, special forces, if anything, would have even less use for for this. The design is silly and not really viable right now, but the core concept is solid, and a streamlined design could potentially make this quite viable for mechanized infantry and similar units. Maybe door kickers, though I imagine the concept's significant limitations are most apparent in CQB.

Only in the sense of mobility. I think being impervious to bullets would be a benefit in CQB, or do you think someone would want to fight you hand to hand if you were wearing that thing? I agree that special forces wouldn't need it, but in terms of police/patrol etc...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So special forces teams don't do afghani cave sweeps, or hard entry missions inside hostile complexes anymore? Saying that special forces has no use for this is sort of short-sighted don't you think?

The Army thinks so, which is why they have been developing the Future Force Warrior project for quite a while, in preperation for the demand of modern warfare's smaller, more capble combat units. (IE special forces, not regular infantry)

070104_future_green_02.jpg

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
So special forces teams don't do afghani cave sweeps, or hard entry missions inside hostile complexes anymore? Saying that special forces has no use for this is sort of short-sighted don't you think?

The Army thinks so, which is why they have been developing the Future Force Warrior project for quite a while, in preperation for the demand of modern warfare's smaller, more capble combat units. (IE special forces, not regular infantry)

070104_future_green_02.jpg

TS,

look at the differences in the pictures - the guy in the picture you attached is carrying maybe 3 kg of armor, with helmet and breastplate. take a look at his shoes, he is wearing light weight shoes. remember, personal weapon and ammo will make up maybe another 15-20 kilos, plus communications, navigation and optical stuff. add to that water. you are talking serious weight. I can't imagine anyone wanting that much body armor in a SF capacity.

SF troops would prefer not to be in the being shot at business - they are all about moving fast and not being seen, at least hopefuly. they are prepared to return fire if needed, and do it well, but their advantage should be in speed and stealth.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Stormtroopers... heh

If that thing is impervious to an elephant gun... I wonder if it'd hold up to a .308 or 50 cal round. The real question is if it could withstand an IED.

wouldn't help in terms of an IED, although it may keep the frags from ripping you. the shock would still get you - survival of an IED is dependent on stoping the fragments, controling the heat and disapating the shock waves effect on your skeletan, head and respiratory system. if everyone was wearing one of these, they would use more shock and heat and less frags.

I ran over 2 IED's in my youth - what kept me healthy was that the force shot me right in the air - we rode in heavily aromored vihicles with no roof, at the time. the fragments would be stopped by the armor, and we would "ride" the wave out, if that is the right term.

also, I think that a 50 cal round would simply crush the chest of the guy in this armor, even if it didn't penetrate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads