• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post pics of your denim - denim fades and evolution

Whiskey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
No problem, I'll try to get some fit pics as soon as I can; maybe late tonight or tomorrow? As far as sizing I went with 32x34. I'm 5'7", 150lbs, and my true waist is 31 inches (although many brands fit me when tagged 30, and I never need a 32). At this point, the jeans are semi-tight for about 5 minutes after a soak/dry, and then the waist stretches to almost 32", making them perfectly comfortable with a belt on. In other words, they ended up close to their tagged size. They've been soaked in cold water and air dried close to a dozen times now. I love the fit, but I definitely could have bought a 31 if I wanted them extra slim and the waist would be just fine. They are stamped "R" on the top button, for reference. I think they're '07s?
Cool Regal...thanks. I am 5'6 130 and I got my true size 28x34. I was a little worried that that would be too tight but I think I'll go ahead and try it out. mlyngard- uh oh...i smell a LVC '47 off comin'!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
My KMW's, about to go in for repair:
s1j9md.jpg
14n0bx5.jpg
316rmmh.jpg
rismt3.jpg
Last blurry pic shows the damage, worn through on the lower left corner of the left pocket, and the left crotch seam. The crease below the pocket which has been worn through is almost white, no indigo there. Had them for a bit over a year.

Regal

Reaction score
Ok, here are some pics and measurements as promised. Sorry for the crappy bathroom pics, but it was the only place I could get decent light at 5am, haha. The pixelation is almost bad enough to make the pictures pointless, but whatever. Maybe I'll replace them with some natural light ones tomorrow. Tagged 32x34. Front rise is 10.5" in their normal state, but if I pull them and flatten them completely, it's exactly 11". Leg opening is just a tad under 8" (7 and 9/10"). Waist is 16" across (currently fully stretched out), so these leave an inch of room for me which I like. Directly after a soak and air dry they're probably 15.5" across because they're snug to my 31" waist. They're almost exactly at the 1 year mark, and have been cold soaked whenever I felt they could use it. I'd guess they've been cold soaked and agitated in the tub with no soap for 5 minutes about 10 times, cold soaked with a little soap twice, and put in the warm cycle by themselves on "gentle" once (no spin cycle), although I can't remember why I needed to do that.
fullsize.jpg
fullsize.jpg
fullsize.jpg
fullsize.jpg

amnesiac

Reaction score
Gap Skinny Japanese Selvage (HOL 08) 1 year more or less daily wear. soak at 3 months wash at 6 soak at 8 wash at 10
gapskinny1yr1.jpg
gapskinny1yr2.jpg
'honeycombs' crotch repairs The crotch blew out way too quick (6months) and i have had to do some ridiculous mending but it'll hold for now. Notice the excessive but necessary zig-zag stitching and huge bar tacks to patch up holes. Also, the wallet wore through the back pocket in 2 months. It's 1 wash and fairly thin which was great for summer but the thorough mending i've had to do has been ridiculous. Also, these are tagged 32 and have stretched out to nearly 35" across because the rise is so low. I could've gone with 31 easily but I can only imagine how much worse the crotch, back pocket, and front pocket wear would've been. Either way, not a bad way to spend $50 for a year's worth of jeans.

Whiskey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
Ok, here are some pics and measurements as promised. Sorry for the crappy bathroom pics, but it was the only place I could get decent light at 5am, haha. The pixelation is almost bad enough to make the pictures pointless, but whatever. Maybe I'll replace them with some natural light ones tomorrow.

Tagged 32x34. Front rise is 10.5" in their normal state, but if I pull them and flatten them completely, it's exactly 11". Leg opening is just a tad under 8" (7 and 9/10"). Waist is 16" across (currently fully stretched out), so these leave an inch of room for me which I like. Directly after a soak and air dry they're probably 15.5" across because they're snug to my 31" waist.

They're almost exactly at the 1 year mark, and have been cold soaked whenever I felt they could use it. I'd guess they've been cold soaked and agitated in the tub with no soap for 5 minutes about 10 times, cold soaked with a little soap twice, and put in the warm cycle by themselves on "gentle" once (no spin cycle), although I can't remember why I needed to do that.

fullsize.jpg

fullsize.jpg

fullsize.jpg

fullsize.jpg

Fit looks awesome. Would you say the width of the legs and the hem shrank a pretty good amount after the initial soak? How much did your inseam shrink? Mine seem a little too baggy below the knees for my taste (pre-wash). Thanks Regal.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
After a week of sleeping with my 501s (I ain't got nobody), I'm beginning to see some awesome creases! I hesitate to post a pic b/c I'm sure I'd get slammed by Big Punisher again. Maybe in another month of sleeping together, though.

One thing I've noticed--501s are not very skinny. Will I be ostracized from the denimhead world for wearing jeans that are not skinny?

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Whiskey
Fit looks awesome. Would you say the width of the legs and the hem shrank a pretty good amount after the initial soak? How much did your inseam shrink? Mine seem a little too baggy below the knees for my taste (pre-wash). Thanks Regal.

Hm...to be honest I can't remember exactly how they fit before the initial soak, but I know they were loose enough that I wasn't apprehensive about soaking them. If they had fit close to how they fit now I'd have probably been worried about it and at least worn them while they were drying. I shouldve taken measurements!

Gavin

Reaction score
Looking for a fit critique on my new Sugar Cane Union Stars (post-soak):

photo-5.jpg
photo4-1.jpg
photo6.jpg

More than anything, I'm not sure about how the ass fits. I think it's a combination of the higher rise and roomier seat, but I can't tell if that's how they're supposed to fit (since they're repros) or if they're too off and unflattering.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Seem almost too small to me. then again I'm no expert on the Sugar Canes fit.

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Seem almost too small to me. then again I'm no expert on the Sugar Canes fit.

Too small? Huh, I wasn't expecting that. I don't think so though. The waist was really tight post-soak, but stretched out quickly -- I can slide my hand under it easily. And there's a little slack everywhere else.

I'm used to wearing KMW 1980s (several pairs over the last couple of years) which are obviously slimmer and lower rise (not low, but lower than these) and wanted a change.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gavin
Looking for a fit critique on my new Sugar Cane Union Stars (post-soak):

photo-5.jpg
photo4-1.jpg
photo6.jpg

More than anything, I'm not sure about how the ass fits. I think it's a combination of the higher rise and roomier seat, but I can't tell if that's how they're supposed to fit (since they're repros) or if they're too off and unflattering.

they're not actually repros. they were taken from Kiya's SExSC02 which are slim fit.

Xposting mine [tag W33]:
SExSCEvFIT.jpg

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gavin,

Those are probably the right size for you, but I don't think it's an especially flattering cut. Too high-rise and full-cut in the top block for such a strong taper to the knee and then to the hem.

EDIT: But dude above makes them look good, so maybe it's just not the right cut for your body, or the angle of your photo is deceptive.

Gavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
they're not actually repros. they were taken from Kiya's SExSC02 which are slim fit.

Oh? I thought the Union Stars were these:

The Union Star is a throwback to a design the original parent brand of Sugar Cane once produced in the early 1960's. Before there was Sugar Cane, the parent brand offered numerous clothing articles for sale at military PX's to U. S. military personnel based on U. S. military installations in Japan, and one such item was a super-durable five-pocket denim dungaree that featured a star stitch design on the rear pockets. The star stitch design represents the star identification marking used on U. S. military vehicles and aircraft, which originates from the stars found in the blue field of the U. S. flag.

Sugar Cane has masterfully recaptured the true color, look, fit, feel, quality and durability of the their original Union Star design, which retains the stovepipe non-tapered legs, high-rise waist that's a bit nippy, button-fly closure and 14.5-ounce denim. Many American military personnel brought their Union Star's home with them once they arrived back in the USA, only to be frustrated when find they couldn't get a dungaree as good as the Union Star once their Union Star's finally yielded to time and hard use. Sugar Cane Union Star dungarees are like a resumption of the production of a long-lost classic rather than a reproduction or copy. Now you can grab a pair of jeans just like our dedicated military personnel based in Japan once did; take note of these authentic features and details found only on a premium, selvage-denim dungaree of this pedigree:
Or are those just the ones with the larger stitched star on both rear pockets?

Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
Xposting mine [tag W33]:
SExSCEvFIT.jpg

Yours look like they fit you much better...particularly in the seat. Did yours look like mine when you first got them then relaxed into the fit you have now? If these are supposed to be a slim fit, they're certainly not slim in the seat.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa