• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

positive b. nelson experiences

TPowers

Reaction score
They offer a full recraft. Be wary. The new corking that they inserted in my left shoe is lumpy, in particular near the ball of my foot. It's made walking somewhat uncomfortable.

Samovar McGee

Reaction score

They offer a full recraft. Be wary. The new corking that they inserted in my left shoe is lumpy, in particular near the ball of my foot. It's made walking somewhat uncomfortable.

Come off it. This reads like a yelp review. It's a cobbler shop, not the nexus of perennially perfect shoe repair. Just talk to him about it and report back.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TPowers

Reaction score
I will not talk to him. Nor will I go back to him. He butchered the job and when it comes to Alden's, expecially at a repair price around $100, it's one strike and you're out. The local cobbler in SoHo wear I live did a better job on AEs I brought to him earlier this winter. He's won my business. If anyone is interested, his shop is on the corner of Sullivan and Prince.

As for the comparison to Yelp...uhhh, yeah? This is a user review site. So is Yelp. Little wonder reviews on one sound like reviews on the other.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I will not talk to him. Nor will I go back to him. He butchered the job and when it comes to Alden's, expecially at a repair price around $100, it's one strike and you're out. The local cobbler in SoHo wear I live did a better job on AEs I brought to him earlier this winter. He's won my business. If anyone is interested, his shop is on the corner of Sullivan and Prince.

As for the comparison to Yelp...uhhh, yeah? This is a user review site. So is Yelp. Little wonder reviews on one sound like reviews on the other.

You know what? Thank you. Thank you for staying away from B. Nelson. I don't really need a cheap pair of Alden shoes ahead of my Lobb Prestige shoes anyway.

:slayer:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sent nick my RL darlon cordovan loafers. He did a fine job on the re-sole with redenbachs and metal taps.

Does anyone know if he can replace the insoles on shoes hat have a half in-sole. I would have liked them done as well, but I did not specify at the time.

I would not hesitate to recommend his service.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad I could speed up the repair process for your second-hand Lobb Prestige shoes.

second-hand Lobbs > new Alden's

Obviously, you are somebody's sock. I find it hard to believe that you joined styleforum and immediately began posting in this thread, sock. Hell, all of your posts have been in this thread, sock.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my C&Js back. They look great.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I sent nick my RL darlon cordovan loafers. He did a fine job on the re-sole with redenbachs and metal taps.
Does anyone know if he can replace the insoles on shoes hat have a half in-sole.

I believe, you mean the 'sock'. the insole liner.
That can be easily replaced (also with a full-length one, if that is what you want).

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I believe, you mean the 'sock'. the insole liner.
That can be easily replaced (also with a full-length one, if that is what you want).

3 types:
A heel seat. Approx. 3 1/2 inches long.
A 3/4. Goes from the back of your heel, stops just short of the metatarsal area.
Full length. Heel to toe.

We replace them as needed.
If they're good and you want them replaced there's a charge for that. We use kid skin. My supplier's tell me I'm crazy for using kid for liners. To me, it looks and feels great.

We specialize in re-crafting high end footwear. I consider Alden's to be mid/high end.

I'll admit, we are not perfect. I'll also stand behind this, if you have a legitimate complaint, let me know. I'll make sure it gets corrected.
I'm very approachable..

Storm33

Reaction score
I just want to add my experience here. I sent a pair of John Lobb bespoke and a pair of C&J / PRL cigar shell PTBs to Nick with instructions to call me before working on them. Nick called and thoroughly briefed me on on what my options were, as well as making recommendations for the ideal results. I opted for a full recraft on both, with JR soles.

Both pairs came back in much better condition. I was particularly impressed with the work he did on the Lobbs, which needed his expertise.

I will definitely be doing business with Nick again!

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a pair of AE Graysons (shells) resoled by B. Nelson's. The resole job was fine.
However...when I went to give the shoes a brush down, I discovered some kind of shoe cream applied thoroughly all over! :brick:
I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning that stuff off and I'm not sure it's all completely off yet. I'll go over the shoes again in the next few days.
I probably should have taken a closer look before leaving the store but needless to say this is pretty disappointing. That said, I'm sure Nick had nothing to do with this - probably just someone who wasn't familiar with shell cordovans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads