• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Porsche 911 Turbo/GT2 vs. GT3

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
0:20 and 0:26?

--Andre

looks like he's taking his foot off the accelerator to me...not completely, physically off the pedal, but enough to where no acceleration is being applied during braking (like in karting). I don't know. It just doesn't seem like a fast technique to me, but I have never tried it so...

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a road course, it's a subtle technique that you add on after you have the basics down. This video of Colin McRae in a rally car shows how it's more aggressively used since he's always on the edge of traction:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

--Andre

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
On a road course, it's a subtle technique that you add on after you have the basics down. This video of Colin McRae in a rally car shows how it's more aggressively used since he's always on the edge of traction:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. --Andre

I don't really see him on the brakes + accelerator in the corners. Like in karting, he is just keeping both feet on both pedals and transitioning between the two quickly (one is either on or off). He even says it's for quick transition. The only time I can tell he is really on both at the same time is when he is braking + downshifting, which would make perfect sense.

Dac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
True for the later, but false for the former.

Yes that came out wrong
facepalm.gif

Downforce increases cornering speed with the by-product of drag, the two are are indirectly linked to straight-line speed.

Is what I meant!
smile.gif

Dac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I see...I don't see him doing left foot braking + accelerator though. When he is on the brakes (left foot) he releases the accelerator, so it is not really braking+accelerator at the same, as originally pointed out. Maybe turbo car driving is different, but I don't really see how braking + accelerator at the same time in the corner could be faster.

The whole point of LFB as already mentioned is to control weight distribution more effectively by being faster and with more force than simply lifting off the throttle. It does give you more control whether or not it means being faster is dependant on driving style. LFB will also help keep the turbo spooled up by opening the throttle body and reducing the negative pressure. Also sometimes drivers use techniques because they make going faster easier, if you add an extra 0.01 seconds to your corner times but reduce the chances of making an error then it is worth doing as one mistake can mean seconds. Last point, in FWD cars with certain differentials it can increase locking for putting power to the floor.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dac
The whole point of LFB as already mentioned is to control weight distribution more effectively by being faster and with more force than simply lifting off the throttle. It does give you more control whether or not it means being faster is dependant on driving style. LFB will also help keep the turbo spooled up by opening the throttle body and reducing the negative pressure. Also sometimes drivers use techniques because they make going faster easier, if you add an extra 0.01 seconds to your corner times but reduce the chances of making an error then it is worth doing as one mistake can mean seconds. Last point, in FWD cars with certain differentials it can increase locking for putting power to the floor.

the video doesn't work for me, but thanks for the explanation. How do turbos work? I mean, how does braking (either foot) + braking at the same time help the turbo?

Dac

Reaction score
the video doesn't work for me, but thanks for the explanation. How do turbos work? I mean, how does braking (either foot) + braking at the same time help the turbo?
By keeping your foot on the throttle even during braking more air goes through the cylinders as well as fuel which burns therefore creating hot exhaust gasses which keep the turbo spooled and hence power. LFB is one of the reasons why Walter Röhrl was able to do so well in the Audi Quattro, he kept the throttle on during braking so when he exited the corner he had immediate boost.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really see him on the brakes + accelerator in the corners. Like in karting, he is just keeping both feet on both pedals and transitioning between the two quickly (one is either on or off). He even says it's for quick transition. The only time I can tell he is really on both at the same time is when he is braking + downshifting, which would make perfect sense.

Hmm, watch the video again (if you have time to burn!), and you can see various points where he's hard on the brakes, and pulsing the throttle. There are also moments when he is hard on the throttle, and pulsing the brakes. He's using a semi-auto gearbox that matches revs for him, so he's not really blipping the throttle for downshifts: note that there is a clutch pedal and it is entirely unused in the video.

--Andre

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dac
By keeping your foot on the throttle even during braking more air goes through the cylinders as well as fuel which burns therefore creating hot exhaust gasses which keep the turbo spooled and hence power. LFB is one of the reasons why Walter Röhrl was able to do so well in the Audi Quattro, he kept the throttle on during braking so when he exited the corner he had immediate boost.
Originally Posted by A Y
Hmm, watch the video again (if you have time to burn!), and you can see various points where he's hard on the brakes, and pulsing the throttle. There are also moments when he is hard on the throttle, and pulsing the brakes. He's using a semi-auto gearbox that matches revs for him, so he's not really blipping the throttle for downshifts: note that there is a clutch pedal and it is entirely unused in the video. --Andre
Thanks guys for the turbo lesson. Hopefully I get a chance to drive one someday to try it out. The clutch in the WRC video is unused, so assumed he was just upshifting and downshifting without the clutch

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't race cars but I've been braking with my left foot for years now. It just seems right.

Dac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I don't race cars but I've been braking with my left foot for years now. It just seems right.

The earlier you learn it the better, the more your brain trains your left foot to push down on the heavy clutch pedal the harder it will be to learn the finer movements needed for the brake hence why a lot of people headbut the windscreen first time round
plain.gif

My dad showed me LFB to slide my Austin Metro City 1.0 on the gravel outside the house when I was just 10 years old. I have to admit nowadays though I never use it (no real need to) and would probably have a sore head myself
facepalm.gif

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to LFB when i started driving but everyone told me its for girls.

I couldve been a racecar driver

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bump. test drove both these cars back to back today - the 997 model. both cars are ridiculous in their own way. the Turbo is more comfortable and it's styled like a car you can pull up to any event in. and it's faster with less noise and drama. the GT3, on the other hand, is to me what Porsche 911's are supposed to be. too boy-racerish for some, and some would also find it too harsh for daily driving. but i loved it. i wonder what you guys would get?
confused.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GT3 for me, but it depends on what you'll use the car for. If you're not a track rat, the Turbo is more comfortable for everyday driving, but I wouldn't get the Turbo for everyday driving --- I'd rather get one of the RWD Carreras (base, S, or GTS).

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads