• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poorly dyed/finished shoe help

gabeh86

Reaction score
Hello,

First off, I'm a new poster here so please pardon any SF etiquette that I may be missing...

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a shoe snob, however I appreciate a nice pair. Also my current career and lifestyle doesn't necessitate a very high end pair of shoes, however I would like to be seen as a person who understands quality and construction, and who can dress better than average.

I recently picked up a pair of Goodyear welted monk straps from one of the newer budget priced shoe makers. I'm going to avoid brands here as this post really isn't about my thoughts or a review of the manufacturer as much as how to address the issues I'm having. After being pleasantly surprised by the monks, I picked up a pair of tan brogue oxfords from them as well.

Having received the shoes I was immediately disappointed by the dying/finishing of the shoes. The dye, which was a bit more orange than what I would like, also seems to lighten up considerably where the leather has creased or bent, almost as if its cracking or rubbing off. Also the burnishing job from the factory was very poor. After a couple treatments of AE cleaner & conditioner, and a couple more with Meltonian cream polish, the issue isn't as bad/noticeable, however its still very present.

These have been taken on the first day of wear.

I personally have not had a pair of shoes that have had these issues so I'm wondering if anyone else has and what they've done to address it.

I'm thinking that the lightening in the creases/bends is something that might work itself out with continued conditioning and polishing with cream. I also have leather honey that I was thinking about using as well. As far as the poor burnishing, that again might be able to be "fixed" with darker creams or other dye. Another option which has been floating around in my head is a full strip and redye, of which has been documented well on SF and elsewhere on the net, with varying degrees of success.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics