• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BostonHedonist @TheWraith @Wes Bourne

If you're into that early 70's aesthetic, maybe go for something from the early 70's?

Mimo, I think that the Heuer GMT Automatic is actually a re-edition from about 10 years back, rather than the original from the 1970s. Still a nice watch, but not "vintage" if that's what someone wants.

Is there anything special about the Glasshutte watches made in East Germany in the post WW2 era? I thought they were more or less mass produced...

My novice impression is that Glashutte Original watches are highly regarded and mainly use precise in-house movements. Many consider GO manufacture finer even than Rolex (which doesn't say much in the realm of high horology). Glashutte, Germany is a watchmaking region and also home to Nomos Glashutte, which some say is one of the first larger manufacturers to have a truly unique take on horology in some time.

No it's not Swiss. For purists that might be a problem. But for this thread, one should be so lucky to see the word "Glashutte" scrawled on one's dial.

Yes, Glashutte is home to quite a few watch manufacturers and nowadays, GO is very highly regarded, as are Glashutte watchmakers such as A. Lange & Sohne and Nomos.

However, prior to re-integration between East and West Germany, Glashutte was (not unexpectedly) a government owned business called Glashütter Uhrenbetriebe (or GUB) which made decent, but not fantastic watches.

So a Glashutte from the 1970s is definitely not the same as a Glashutte from today.

Stebbin

Reaction score
Any opinion on Parnis? I assume they low tier given the price, but have no idea. Switch out for a stainless steel strap and might look pretty close

http://www.parniswatch.net/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=526&productname=
I owned a couple from 2012 when the AUD-USD exchange rate was more favourable. They're not bad watches although there may be some issues with the quality control on the Seagull clone movements. Mine gave out after about a year of wear and I've moved onto other automatic watches.

You may need to replace the straps and service the movement but they do represent a reasonable price:quality ratio.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Mimo, I think that the Heuer GMT Automatic is actually a re-edition from about 10 years back, rather than the original from the 1970s. Still a nice watch, but not "vintage" if that's what someone wants.

Glashutte from the 1970s is definitely not the same as a Glashutte from today.

That Heuer was listed as a 1970 model, but I don't know; I'm sure you're right. Either way, it's a sub $1k watch with a bit of style and personality, and pretty respectable I think.

The GUB watches are certainly not premium items like the products of the post-communist era companies: Glashuette Original, Tutima, Muehle, Union, and of course Lange. But they do seem like good value to me: at the end of the day, the same people were making them in 1986 as 1996, to a degree, and the movements were well-proven over decades, just like the solid ETA numbers over the border. I think they look like excellent value: there are plenty around in good running order after forty or more years, which isn't something you can say about original Sea Gulls or Russian equivalents, for example- watches that were made in vast numbers, but are hard to find now in a state suitable for regular use. And then there's the whole retro-commie thing, the 70s designs. Given the price, I am tempted to take a punt on one. I rather like the one I posted. I'm also seriously thinking of getting a Submariner lookalike (ETA powered), made shortly after the fall of the Walll, early 90s. It's $400. What is there to lose?

TradThrifter

Reaction score
Given the price, I am tempted to take a punt on one. I rather like the one I posted. I'm also seriously thinking of getting a Submariner lookalike (ETA powered), made shortly after the fall of the Walll, early 90s. It's $400. What is there to lose?

Looks really cool from what I can find. Not sure what the depth rating is, but it does appear to have a screw-down crown.

poena

Reaction score
here are 2 of mine

SKX007

SARG011

Mead

Reaction score
Here are some I've been looking at. Seems like there are not that many great GMT watches out there to begin with. Even fewer entry-level automatic GMTs. Some of these get above "poor man's watch" territory at MSRP, but I think you can find or haggle most below $1k. But here's what I've got so far (apart from the Orient Star). I'm not crazy about all of them, but it's nice to look at all of them in one place.

Zixen Zulu

Glycine Airman Base 22 GMT

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon GMT

Raymond Weil Nabucco GMT

Longines Admiral GMT

Thoughts? OK Wraith, your turn.

I think the Glycine looks great, thats probably close to 2K

Renalan

Reaction score
Been alternating between this and my baller watch as of late. Really like the face and the domed/curved crystal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads