• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone versed in updating watch movements? I have the original Seiko Cocktail Time and I really like it. Does well in the office as it shines very blue under fluorescent lights. Keeps really squishy time, though. My Sub is 21 years old, never serviced, and still within COSC standards. This is off by +30 secs a day I think (will test it next week). Not a fair comparison between watches of course but I think it would be cool find an economical upgrade. Case is 40mm and 13.1mm thick.

Any ideas? Too silly to contemplate?

View attachment 1731426

I have the newer or "updated" version or whatever. Pretty good value for $320 or so.

I don't own a cell phone
In the year 2022, this is not what I expected to read from someone posting on an Internet forum. I don't mean that in a negative way either. I am trying to be less connected when I'm not in the office.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am new to watches. I got into it when I had a few big milestones. My taste is watches is primarily visual.
I do like the history, the engineering, and the hype. I had wanted a Sub since I was 10 and saw Sean Connery wear one in Goldfinger.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I do like the history, the engineering, and the hype. I had wanted a Sub since I was 10 and saw Sean Connery wear one in Goldfinger.
I am not a Rolex fan. I admire the company and achievements, but they are not for me.

When I was young, I wore the typical brands, Bulova, Fossil, Skaken, Swatch, Timex, Citizen. Then went many years hardly wearing a watch at all.

Now that I am older, hit some milestones and have more money to spend, I started wearing watches again. I appreciate history, design, engineering, but my watch choices are still mainly visual. Guys on the other thread would call my taste flashy.

On the less expensive side, I have Seiko, Movado, Suunto and just ordered a Baltic. Higher side, Bvlgari, AP, IWC, Omega, Cartier.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone versed in updating watch movements? I have the original Seiko Cocktail Time and I really like it. Does well in the office as it shines very blue under fluorescent lights. Keeps really squishy time, though. My Sub is 21 years old, never serviced, and still within COSC standards. This is off by +30 secs a day I think (will test it next week). Not a fair comparison between watches of course but I think it would be cool find an economical upgrade. Case is 40mm and 13.1mm thick.

Any ideas? Too silly to contemplate?

View attachment 1731426

It's nice to see a Cocktail Time. I've often thought about buying one of the originals, or the Star Bar Starlight, which would be a nice tie-in to my time at the namesake bar in Ginza. But I would love to see it first as I don't like large watches as a rule, which is why I love my Baltics.

~ H

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's nice to see a Cocktail Time. I've often thought about buying one of the originals, or the Star Bar Starlight, which would be a nice tie-in to my time at the namesake bar in Ginza. But I would love to see it first as I don't like large watches as a rule, which is why I love my Baltics.

~ H
Original Cocktail Time is 40mm but fairly thin. Feels small on my wrist but I'm used to mostly wearing thick dive watches.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I completely love this. It's fun and I've always had a soft spot for orange watches, and this is very orange.

Yeah...I sorta like it also.

Not for everyday wear, but a nice change up every now and then.

Many years ago, I was strolling through Macy's(NYC) and saw and purchased this. I had a few watches already and don't wear it much now, but I liked the color/pop. Movado/Kenny Scharf collab:

movado071.jpg

(Stock photo.)

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had not participated in this thread for a while. I was surprised to see a recent trend of orange watches in the last few days.

And it just so happens that the watch I’m wearing today has a bit of orange. This vintage Caravelle is from 1971, and I’m trying to decide what kind of strap or bracelet would look best. For today though, orange works!

7A184EDA-42F0-4DA6-B46B-C12B25662E4F.jpeg

Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics