• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
My amateur take is:

1. Not at all, necessarily. ETA movements are proven, and with Rolex testing and quality control, existing Tudors have no reliability issues. The main drive for in house movements is the increased restriction by Swatch Group on supply of their movements to other makers. Tag Heuer you mentioned are another non-Swatch maker that's had to start making in house, for the same reason. Of course, there's a prestige attached to in-house, but also a price.

2. It could be more interesting, maybe they will truly innovate something, and maybe they'll start doing some fine decoration. But I doubt it: more likely is they will use a copyright-expired design similar to ETA's, or even a Rolex calibre, as the base, and make their own limited changes. I don't see any practical difference as likely.

3. No, the opposite. The ubiquity of ETA movements means many can service them, though replacement parts will be different depending on the modifications made by any particular maker. If Tudor's new movements really are new, they will only be familiar to Tudor's service department, at least to begin with.

4. I'm guessing not, too. They might use the basic design of a Rolex calibre, as they already own it and have the tools. But I would suspect that they will use an older version with fewer of Rolex's defining innovations, in order to maintain the distinction between the two brands. If they do use a discontinued Rolex calibre in some way, then that might affect the point above: a lot of places can service old Rolexes that were around for a long time.

5. Why wait? If you like one, get it. The Black Bay can be had for well under $3k, it's a great-looking watch, and a reliable movement. And if you're thinking of long term value, then the movement that was only made for a couple of years before going in-house might end up being the collectible one in twenty years: look at ETA or Zenith Daytonas, or ETA Panerais. But buying watches as an investment is for experts, fools, or both. Buy it because you like it.

(Also, what Wraith said!)

Last edited:

pizzapie

Reaction score
What size are these watches? Can't tell from the photos.
Specs
  • Orient Watch Co.
  • Orient Caliber 46943 Automatic Movement
  • Power reserve: 40 hours
  • Case: Stainless steel
  • Crystal: mineral
  • Case width: 41.5 mm
  • Thickness: 13.3 mm
  • Lug width: 22 mm
  • Water resistance: 200 m
  • Day and Date at 3 o’clock
  • Urethane rubber strap
  • Screw down crown

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Seiko incoming. Beater = upgraded.

Don't tease like that! What mode number?

I'm personally lusting after an Alpinist (SARB017) and the new Bullhead chrono (SCEB009).

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm personally lusting after an Alpinist (SARB017) and the new Bullhead chrono (SCEB009).
That Alpinist is a rather handsome watch. I do like when Seiko does green.

A favorite of mine (though not a PMW) would be:

As for my incoming, you'll have to wait and see. I'll post pictures. A hint though: it's a diver. I only go for divers as beaters given my propensity for "aquatic douchebagery."

In the meanwhile, if anyone wants an SNE109 for a good price, I've got mine up on eBay.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which is the better buy between a Casio A158 and A168?

I have a gold a168 and I swear, people loved that thing.

I'm about to kop a SARB035, I think, with plans for a black croc deployment strap on it. SARBs are so much value for so little money.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed about SARB's. I have a couple on my immediate (or near-future) wish list.

Last edited:

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I have gotten my shoe collection under control, so the next logical thing to turn my attention to is... my watch collection. I will be budget shopping, so this thread is perfect!

Can anyone offer any insight into the Rotary brand? I have been looking for a white-faced, dressier watch (that can still be worn casually). Came across this guy, reduced to under $100. If not this, other suggestions for a similar watch?

Thanks a bunch, fellas!

http://www.samuelsdiamonds.com/stainless-steel-brown-leather-stripe-gents-watch.html

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NervesAidHealth