• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You usually end up paying more for a seller with a good reputation, so probably closer to 500-800.

What's nice about Omega, is that they are extremely well documented. It's easy to look up the number on the movement and track down the true year, to see if it matches the seller's description. That said, I would never buy a used watch that doesn't also show you the movement.

http://www.omega-fanatic.com/pages/omega-info/omega-codes-and-movement-numbers.php

It's definitely a gamble. I was originally looking to buy one a few months ago as my first "real watch," but settled on a new Seiko instead. However, I could see dabbling with vintage in the future.
Thanks for the information. That's very helpful.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one is on my wish list (short term). Although I thought the combos were either white face/rose gold hands or creme face/blue hands?

teoky

Reaction score
This one is on my wish list (short term). Although I thought the combos were either white face/rose gold hands or creme face/blue hands?

This is the less documented Orient ER2400EW. Stainless steel case, white dial and blue hand. It suits my skin colour the best :)

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought myself a new Orient Bambino. Love the blue hand on white dial. Can't stop looking at it while I'm working.

Ah yes , an Orient. . .

. .because you are from the East. .

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people get so upset about a watch brand's name.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey! I'm hoping you all can help me out with something. I like my Seiko 5, and I'm reasonably happy with my quartz watches, but I think I'd like to try a hand-wound (just to see if I can stand winding it and setting it as part of my routine).

What are my options for something cheap? I've looked at HMTs on eBay, but they all seem to be plated over base metal. Ideally, I'd like something in stainless for under $75, between 34 and 40 mm.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75$ is cutting it short. If you extend to 100-125$ then you open up the possibilities.

Plus you never said what kind of watch you wanted; dress, pilot, diver, etc.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
75$ is cutting it short. If you extend to 100-125$ then you open up the possibilities.

Plus you never said what kind of watch you wanted; dress, pilot, diver, etc.

I'm open to pretty much anything. I have a passable dress watch, but I'd wear another one. A diver would be fine, as would a field watch. A pilot watch could be cool, but aren't they usually rather large?

Sorry I'm being vague. But, sure, what could I look at if I bumped up the budget a little?

Ds13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Finally bought my first poor mans watch. Pretty happy with this. Massive discount purchase. Anyone have recommendations for shell cordovan straps or natural leather straps? I'd like to make it a little more comfortable.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the less documented Orient ER2400EW. Stainless steel case, white dial and blue hand. It suits my skin colour the best :)

Woah, that's awesome!

Finally bought my first poor mans watch. Pretty happy with this. Massive discount purchase. Anyone have recommendations for shell cordovan straps or natural leather straps? I'd like to make it a little more comfortable.

Nato strap!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm open to pretty much anything. I have a passable dress watch, but I'd wear another one. A diver would be fine, as would a field watch. A pilot watch could be cool, but aren't they usually rather large?

Sorry I'm being vague. But, sure, what could I look at if I bumped up the budget a little?

$75-100 would get you a pilot/field style watch from the same Seiko 5 range you already have: the Seiko 5 Military. I bought one for my son. It's an extremely good looking and tidily finished watch for the money, the same decent mechanical movement, and at 40mm is both big enough to be casual and small enough for a thinner wrist (my son also has rather thin wrists). The link is the one I bought, but there are several other colour options.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I checked and my usual recommandations are either a little over budget (140$) or slightly bigger (41-42mm). So I agree about the Seiko 5 line, it's your best bet in the price range!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus