1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Polo Shoes on eBay - Help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jwoodywild, May 16, 2006.

1. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

The China-built ones are quite different: clunky and the stiching is visible on the sole; also IIRC the Chinese ones don't have a combo heel.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Yeah, these aren't made in China.

3. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

Isn't the answer supposed to be, "Yes they are made in China. Avoid like the plague." [​IMG]

4. Flip

Flip Member

5. raley

raley Senior member

6. dare-

dare- Senior member

7. Eskie

Eskie Member

I'm hoping they are C&J as it's tough to find anything decent in a size 12. Their BIN is $199.99, but hopefully it will sell a bit below.

8. johnnynorman

johnnynorman Well-Known Member

You know, the Carlsons are made in Italy, I think. I'd say the leather is slightly better than Allen Edmonds, but I don't think they are goodyear welted -- I think they are Blake-rapid stitched.

9. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

I thought the Carlson's were made in Italy as well. It says so on the polo website. Compared with the Darltons, which have almost the same shape, the Carlsons are much lower quality. I've only seen the black Carlsons, and the leather is always wrinkled on the lacing flaps in a most unattractive way. You can even see this on the website. Those in reality look the same.

The brown Carlson up for eBay looks better then the black one.
    Here are the links to the Carlson
    http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...566&cp=1760781

The Darlton plaintoe cordovan is back online! No black yet, however.
    http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...816&cp=1760781

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

I thought the Carlson's were made in Italy as well. It says so on the polo website. Compared with the Darltons, which have almost the same shape, the Carlsons are much lower quality. I've only seen the black Carlsons, and the leather is always wrinkled on the lacing flaps in a most unattractive way. You can even see this on the website. Those in reality look the same.

The brown Carlson up for eBay looks better then the black one.
    Here are the links to the Carlson
    http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...566&cp=1760781

The Darlton plaintoe cordovan is back online! No black yet, however.
    http://www.polo.com/product/index.js...816&cp=1760781

The dark brown Darltons are reportedly shell cordovan leather; the black ones are not. I own brown Darlton wingtips and can confirm that the wingtips are shell cordovan. Shell cordovan shoes would be a heck of a deal during the 40% off sale.

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

The dark brown Darltons are reportedly shell cordovan leather; the black ones are not. I own brown Darlton wingtips and can confirm that the wingtips are shell cordovan. Shell cordovan shoes would be a heck of a deal during the 40% off sale.

Both the dark brown Darlton and the wingtip are shell cordovan and excellent deals at this price. The Mansion also had a shell cordovan chukka boot priced at $695 that would be $354 now.

12. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

I paid 350 last Nov 17 for the brown shell cordovan Darltons. They are my favorite jeans shoe.

13. aportnoy

I paid 350 last Nov 17 for the brown shell cordovan Darltons. They are my favorite jeans shoe.

If you can find your size, they would only be $303 plus tax today.

14. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Yeah, it was the same deal last Nov, but the salesman managed to screw me out of that price at the register. Now I remember to calm down and check my receipt. It really pissed me off, because I spent over $800 that day.

15. aportnoy

Yeah, it was the same deal last Nov, but the salesman managed to screw me out of that price at the register. Now I remember to calm down and check my receipt. It really pissed me off, because I spent over $800 that day.

Ouch...sorry to hear that. I've had the same experience at Paul Stuart and Bergdorfs. They are always are making mistakes seemingly in their favor.

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Who makes the "made in Italy" Polo shoes and are they any good at any price?

17. thinman

thinman Senior member

Both the dark brown Darlton and the wingtip are shell cordovan and excellent deals at this price. The Mansion also had a shell cordovan chukka boot priced at $695 that would be $354 now.

Curse you Andrew!! I'm trying to show restraint and stay out of this sale, but you're making it very hard. I *need* boots and I love shell cordovan. Do you know if the boots have dainite (or equivalent) soles and a storm welt?

billiebob, my brown cordovan wingtips are also my favorite jeans shoes. They're big and clunky and totally inelegant...just right under a pair of bootcut jeans.

18. aportnoy

Curse you Andrew!! I'm trying to show restraint and stay out of this sale, but you're making it very hard. I *need* boots and I love shell cordovan. Do you know if the boots have dainite (or equivalent) soles and a storm welt?

Dainite sole and storm welt too. They are phenomenal. I might break down and get a pair myself. Plus, with all the RLPL activity, these may have slipped under the radar.

19. thinman

thinman Senior member

Dainite sole and storm welt too. They are phenomenal. I might break down and get a pair myself. Plus, with all the RLPL activity, these may have slipped under the radar.

Yes, I just convinced myself not to buy a pair of RLPL Carter, 3-eyelet derbies, but I will need winter boots to wear in about 1-2 inches of snow and semi-frequent ice storms. So I have a call in to the Mansion and they're supposed to call me back.

These would actually be cheaper than the alternative I was considering--C&J Snowdons (calfskin, not cordovan) from plal.

20. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Sound like the ones a bunch of us bought off bluefly a couple of years back. They're great boots.