• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Shirts--Do not Like.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Travota is nice, Spertia. Love the contrast collar and placket.

Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Unless he's rounding up cattle on the back 40, sitting in the audience at a rodeo or engaged in a similar, "cowboy lifestyle" pursuit, he's wearing the hat out of context. Like it or not, it's called a cowboy hat for a reason, and removing it from that context, with all the attendant social signifiers, suggests an ironic approach to the thing.

That being said, I don't give a rat's ass if he wears one or not. But to deny that he's doing so ironically is either an exercise in self-deception or a deliberate obfuscation.

Please read my prior post.

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Yes because you can only wear what is practical. You can't wear Woolen Mills flannel if you're not choppin wood. Why wear boat shoes outside of a boat?
facepalm.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=135523

Mr T

Reaction score
I don't own a polo shirt. For that matter, I also don't own any jeans (or denim or whatever the kids are calling them now).

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding the impetus behind the polo hatred... Polos are just like T shirts - purely casual wear that can look great when properly fitting and the right length, otherwise pretty awful. Perhaps there is some negative cultural connotation to them in America that I don't know about? I suspect so from a couple of the posts in this thread.

Massive intrinsic difference? I think not:

DSC00352.jpg
DSC00356.jpg

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Fits good, albeit a bit short. There's no really widespread negative connotation with them, just a few outspoken people.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't trust casual clothing suggestions from the Men's Clothing Board.

It'll be Brooks Bros. jeans with Tod's loafers next.

Ah, it's like the LabelKing of old (or should that be young) when most of his posts were ridiculous attention-getting pronouncements.
musicboohoo[1].gif

FWIW, I think polos are a summer essential. When it's 90+ and 100% humidity and I have no meetings or social plans that require a shirt and jacket...

2009_04_28.jpg

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Ah, it's like the LabelKing of old (or should that be young) when most of his posts were ridiculous attention-getting pronouncements.
musicboohoo[1].gif

FWIW, I think polos are a summer essential. When it's 90+ and 100% humidity and I have no meetings or social plans that require a shirt and jacket...

2009_04_28.jpg

Well said...and good looking photo too. Proves your point admirably.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylesmurf
Nice look. I agree... sick of wearing tshirts for the hot summer weather. Polos and casual short sleeve tshirts are a good compromise.
confused.gif
WTH?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
Also, does anyone know what the sweater knit version of a polo style shirt is called? They were really popular in the 50's and I know they have a different name than "polo shirt".

My favorite polos are the knit polos, not sure if there is any official name for them but everyone I know just refers to em as sweater knit polos. I probably have about 20 sweater knits from Fred Perry, imo look 100x better than pique polos but they are not cheap as the Made in Italian ones are all in the $200 range and some of the best product you can get from FP.

and you're right they were really popular in the 50s, I used to collect vintage ones and most up til about 1959 maybe were made of acrylic or Orlon, which wasnt the too bad of a knit, but as the decade passed into the 60s they started to be made from banlon, nylon, and polyesters which were all terrible knits.

Albern

Reaction score
All of the contemporary systemic hate towards polos are due to these:

motivational-poster-pink-popped-collar-douche-bags.jpg

d6.jpg

douche.jpg

nuff said?

Note: Apparently the last 2 pics are a real trend. Anyone care to chime in on if this is true along with the historical context of this fad?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to let a few idiots ruin wearing a perfectly good shirt, bully for you. I happen to think I'm made of sterner stuff, though.

sii1981

Reaction score
d6.jpg

Note: Apparently the last 2 pics are a real trend. Anyone care to chime in on if this is true along with the historical context of this fad?
i like polos. you cant shoot down a perfectly good item of clothing because marsupials also wears them.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
If you want to let a few idiots ruin wearing a perfectly good shirt, bully for you. I happen to think I'm made of sterner stuff, though.

For what it's worth, I'm not at all suggesting that polos are bad; I have a few that I wear around the house from time to time. At the very least I'm trying to provide some additional reasoning behind the polo hate and unfortunately for some, the word brings up negative connotations similar to the examples above.

Originally Posted by Big Punisher
^^With that post I'm inclined to believe that most people on MC are horrendeously out of touch with today's trends.

Well I won't generalize everyone on MC about that but I'll gladly admit to being out of touch with these kinds of trends. I'm researching it now in fact.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
For what it's worth, I'm not at all suggesting that polos are bad; I have a few that I wear around the house from time to time. At the very least I'm trying to provide some additional reasoning behind the polo hate and unfortunately for some, the word brings up negative connotations similar to the examples above.

I understand what you're saying. My point is, if that's the only reason why some hate the polo shirt, then they're very weak people to let a few idiots affect them thus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads