• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

police encounters

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
*sniff* *sniff* - I smell a RAT!
crawling everywhere today...

Originally Posted by GQgeek
There is nothing more satisfying than catching a whiny ass motherfucker looking at men's personals on craigslist at work. He had bitched and moaned about the restrictions on net access, as well as everything else he could ever find to complain about, and today I busted him and told his supervisor what he really needed more open access for.
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I have a little decal on my jeep that says "Stetson Law". Good for the ladies, bad for the cops.

LL Lawyers ?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kimchikowboy
From 1998 to 2000 I lived in Buenos Aires and taught English to business execs. I had arrived there after a year in Santiago, Chile and was short on cash. Therefore, when I went to a bookstore to buy an excessively priced book in English, part of the selection process involved how thick the book was for the price. I wanted something resonably cheap, but that I could read for a long time before having to buy something else. At this time, I was reading, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (about $12 for the paperback, and I had always liked history). Thick book, black cover with a swastika. I has also just splurged on a new copy of the Latin American edition of Time magazine, which had a cover story about Peron and the Nazis. Photo of Peron, large swastika. Both of these were with me for reading between classes.

I had a class with an exec at (if I remember correctly) A.C. Nielson. I was early that morning, and there was a building nearby with a little outdoor alcove where I could sit and smoke a cigarette while waiting for time to show up at the student's downtown office. A police officer approached and asked to see my ID. Because of a fear of theft, I didn't carry a wallet or my passport. Also, English teachers in Argentina then (and I think still) generally worked illegally because of the impossibilities of getting a work visa.

I told the policeman in my halting Spanish I didn't have any identification and was waiting to meet a friend, because I didn't want to admit to working illegally (OK, I'm from Kentucky, so there are actually more possibilities/advantages to working illegally in Latin America than at home -- hence my sympathies for those who do the reverse). When he found out I didn't have any ID, he got on his radio and soon a well-dressed security officer appeared from inside the building. I remained calm and polite, and asked what all the fuss was about. They told me that I was loitering outside of the Israeli embassy.

If anyone recalls Argentine history, in the late 70s or early 80s both the Israeli embassy and a Jewish community center in the country were bombed with many, many fatalities. As far as I know, the culprits have never been caught (though there was some suspicion of police involvement). So I, a tall, blond-haired blue-eyed foreigner was loitering, watch-checking and chainsmoking outside of an office building hosting the new offices of the Israeli embassy. Of course, they asked if they could search my bag, which had a book and magazine prominantly emblazed with swastikas in a language they probably didn't understand.

I said yes, and being Argentine security officers at their finest, they saw nothing suspicious. I walked off, but found a new place to wait for classes in the future.

laugh.gif

hplindley

Reaction score
You gain nothing be mouthing off to a police officer. They are trained to gain control of the situation -- even if it means illegally arresting you or giving you a fake ticket. This happens all the time, every day, in every city. Get their badge number, or the number of their police car and call the police department to complain.

If they did something really bad, make the complaint in writing, go to the press or hire a lawyer.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hplindley
You gain nothing be mouthing off to a police officer. They are trained to gain control of the situation -- even if it means illegally arresting you or giving you a fake ticket. This happens all the time, every day, in every city.

True. That is why they will force people to stop videotaping an incident even though the Police have no legal grounds to stop picture or video taking.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
You are quite the dick. I hope you eventually get over yourself and earn to think logically.
If there was a crime then it was already committed before I had anything to do with the situation.

Keep it real brother!!!. Don't snitch!!!

(When petty thief was asked why he was stealing from cars in a black neighborhood instead of going over to rich white suburb near by? He replied: White folks would tell on me". Those white snitches!)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this was way back in the day when i was lost and confused.
i had an argument with another guy in a truck next to me who kept trying to cut me off, i followed him and threatened him. he made a sudden u turn and sped off.

an hour later, a cop showed up at my parent's home where i was living at the time and had a 20 minute discussion with me man to man. we initially discussed about the incident, but later we discussed everything from family members to religion. what a nice cop. we shook hands and advised me not to get into things like that again.

i never did again.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yesterday I was coming to an intersection with no cars behind me or any oncoming traffic. There was a huge dip at the crosswalk so I slowed down to make a u-turn as the light turned yellow. Not ten seconds later I was pulled over. The officer asked if I knew why he had pulled me over which I clearly did not. He asked what color the light was when I made the U and I responded. He said it was a "questionable" light and that yellow means "slow or yield, not try to make an unsafe turn." Huh? He grabbed my license and I could see in the rearview that he placed about 3 calls on his cell phone while writing things down on the palm of his hand and looking at my ID. He returned 5 mins later and said that I could be careful next time.

What the hell was that about? It was 11am on a Tuesday in downtown Santa Barbara. I guess there was nothing better to do than pull me over for a "questionable" light that he didn't see being that he was five cars back in the cross traffic when I made my turn. It was almost like he was putting me on the database so that if I got pulled over next time they could say that I'd been warned before.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've had a few but were all ver minor.

once, in 7th grade, my friend was at my house and the dumbass called 911 "on accident" and hung up. the police showed up at my house 20 minutes later and asked if everything was OK. since my parents weren't home at the time, i just said yea everything was ok, but no my parents aren't home. i nervously checked the windows after they "left" but i could see them a little distance away hidng and watching. they eventually went away after half an hour or so.

in high school, i sneaked over to my then gf's house a mile away from mine. she has bad rapport with her stepsisters, and apparently they saw me coming through their window and snitched, telling their mom that they saw an intruder/stranger. she didn't like me for some reason unknown (maybe because i'm asian and her daughter is white), and called the cops. they came in and blah blah blah i had to leave the house. what bitchy sisters/mom.

last year, on my birthday, i got pulled over for a rolling stop @ a stop sign. the cop told me that it was a dangerous intersection because it was busy, but since it was 11pm on a friday night in a relatively residential area, there were no cars to be seen. i wisely decided to just agree instead of talking back, and he even wished me a happy birthday.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm white so i rarely have police encounters.

Enzo

Reaction score
I've only had one run in with a cop and he was a pretty cool guy. I was speeding on my way to class one morning, it was like 65 degrees out in early March, and I had the music blasting, I decided to enjoy the weather. Well he pulled me over and asked me about where I was going... blah blah blah, when he found out my class started in 8 minutes he just handed me my license after saying, ahh to hell with it man just go lol. Didn't even get a warning, cool guy most definitely.

On the topic of good and bad cops, I don't immediately see all cops as bad, but I'm still nervous around cops for the simple reason that I don't know if this is a good or bad one, I always prepare for the worse.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was driving in downtown Atlanta couple of years ago. Some convention or other in town, so there were police directing traffic at an intersection. Long story short, some jerk doesn't let me merge over (they had one lane of traffic closed for bus unloading) so I blew my horn and thanked him with a one-fingered salute. He rolls his window down and starts chirping at me. I almost started laughing cause he was about 60 years old and obviously not in fighting shape. Anyway, the cop walks over to my car and motions me to roll down the window. I do, and he proceeds to ***** me out for not moving along!! I explained that I couldn't because Johnny F*ckwad (I did not use this term) wouldn't let me in. He then told me to get going or I would be going to jail. I was pretty incredulous and asked him on what grounds would he be taking me to jail. This pissed him off to no end and he started shouting and cursing and telling me to get moving or he would arrest me and haul ****** to jail.

If he was not serious, I am sure he wouldn't have said it. From that day on I have a fear of law enforcement officers in general. They can seriously **** your life up. "Hey Bob, I can't make it to the meeting today, I am in jail..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads