• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pleated Trousers without cuffs

NAVA23

Reaction score
Due to tailoring issue I had to revert to going cuffless with pleated trousers. Surprisingly I really like the look. ANyone else fancy this look?

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pleated trousers, with or without cuffs, are an abomination

pdxpm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAVA23
Due to tailoring issue I had to revert to going cuffless with pleated trousers. Surprisingly I really like the look. ANyone else fancy this look?

I've never tried it myself but not because I don't like. I might give it a go on some odd trousers soon. I think many people here do like the look. I think it is a look also favored by the Brits. Bottom line, if you like it, rock it.

tim_horton

Reaction score
The presence or abscence of pleats rarely bugs me when I am looking at OTR suits. I usually get cuffs with pleats and no cuffs with flat front but that's just because I'm mindlessly following dogma. Though I'm getting cuffs put on a flat front corduroy suit - I am FREEEEE!!!!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worst of both worlds for me - I am a plain front cuff guy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Same here. I have one suit from a few years back with pleats. If it wasn't a really nice suit I would have discarded it years ago but it's otherwise such a nice suit. I had the legs slimmed a bit and will pick it up later today from the tailor. If it turned out okay, then it'll be a keeper for sure.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey

Me too, but I've actually seen a few pair of pleated and cuffless pants that I liked. Its all in the overall cut with this one IMO, not easy too easy to make generalizations.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gaseousclay
pleated trousers, with or without cuffs, are an abomination

Utter nonesense.

The OP has no reason to be worried about cuffs/no cuffs with pleats: Both are equally acceptable.

Sazerac

Reaction score
You pleat haters will be singing a different tune in about five years, guaranteed.

If you dismiss the obnoxious overpleatification of the 80's, one or two pleats actually serve a purpose. They hold a crease well and allow for a smoother silhouette. Myself, I don't wear them these days, but I will when manufacturers start putting them out again.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Not if they are forward pleats.

+1. Reverse pleats are an abomination. Turn-ups or not doesn't make a difference to me, though I find turn-ups quite useful on lighter-weight trousers so they have more weight at the bottom. And turn-ups in this case are useful whether or not the trousers have pleats.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pleats=crisp, comfortable. Two work better than one. Forward does hang better, but reverse is fine. Cuffs are unrelated to pleats, functionally, historically, and visually. Cuffs are cool. I don't have many uncuffed pants, flat front or pleated. The only rule on cuffs is "don't cuff formal trousers."

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my tailor is of the pleats = cuffs school of thought also. we've had many "lets agree to disagree" moments.

i hate cuffs ... i dont mind pleats if they fit right, so i have a few suit pants that have pleats but no cuffs. however, the majority of my pants are flat front, with no cuffs.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.