• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help me save my C&J boots...

IsteRed

Reaction score
Hello,so this are my first pair of C&J and it's completely new,i ore it only 4-5 times but yesterday i did something stupid,i was out in the city when my friend called me and told he bought a new car and wanted to show me it,he came and it was an off-road car and he wanted to test it off roads so we went out of the city to test it in the snow...Long story short we got stuck in the snow and the way out was to dig the snow under the car and drive out,so i was digging snow with my bare hands in an undershirt (i took off my jacket in order not to spoil it) in minus degrees celsius,and i've got some snow on my boots which turned to water and here is the consequence of that...please tell me what can i do to clean it,it looks that the snow was mixed with the burned rubber from the tires so it went in the leather,here are some photos.

Bjorn2

Reaction score
Try saphir renovator or saddle soap, follow up with a shoe polish in the right color.

There are stronger cleaners you might try, but I would just let them be a little mottled, it will even out in time.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucks. What model boots are those? Do you have a picture of the style/color of how it looked before? Reno will clean it, cream polish may add some of the color (after numerous coats), but it may need actual leather dye. It's hard for me to tell without comparison.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try saphir renovator or saddle soap, follow up with a shoe polish in the right color.
There are stronger cleaners you might try, but I would just let them be a little mottled, it will even out in time.

I would do the same. It dons't look that bad. I think just polish could even do the trick. If un sure take them to your cobbler .

IsteRed

Reaction score
I don't know the model name but it was lighter than on the photos,it was some mustardy color,the dark parts are actually stains here is a photo of before but it's not seen good,i want to restore it to previous color, i.e. make lighter

IsteRed

Reaction score
I've tried saddle soap,saphir and just clear water,nothing is helping,the dark parts just won't get lighter,are there any other options?cobbler is not an option because we don't have good cobblers in here,they will mess them up :(

IsteRed

Reaction score
I've tried saddle soap,saphir and just clear water,nothing is helping,the dark parts just won't get lighter,are there any other options?cobbler is not an option because we don't have good cobblers in here,they will mess them up :(

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

where are you now?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Acetone on a terrycloth. Wear rubber gloves. Work outdoors. Pass the cloth swiftly over the concerned areas. It should remove the discoloration instantaneously. Don't overwork the areas. Let dry 15min. Apply leather conditioner sparingly with fingers, working the conditioner into the leather to re-moisturize it. Let dry 1 hr. Polish how you like or simply brush, then buff with a flannel cloth. You should be back to as good as new. No guarantees, but that is what I would do.

Last edited:

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Acetone on a terrycloth. Wear rubber gloves. Work outdoors. Pass the cloth swiftly over the concerned areas. It should remove the discoloration instantaneously. Don't overwork the areas. Let dry 15min. Apply leather conditioner sparingly with fingers, working the conditioner into the leather to re-moisturize it. Let dry 1 hr. Polish how you like or simply brush, then buff with a flannel cloth. You should be back to as good as new. No guarantees, but that is what I would do.

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads