• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PLEASE HELP! Did I ruin my shoes?! Polishing mistakes

FranDCG

Reaction score
Hi, n00b shoe care issue here...These double monks were one of the first pairs of "nice" shoes that I ever bought and I think it's obvious I've made a big mistake during my attempts to care for them. I started out using this method: Lexol PH, then Saphir cream (same color), brush, Saphir wax polish (again, same color), brush, Lexol PH, brush...I was very generous with everything I applied to the shoes and applied both cream and wax polish to the entire surface area of the shoes. I thought I was doing great, however, after using this method for about 4-5 times, I noticed the shoes started developing really dark, almost black, tar-like stains all over them. I've tried to show this discoloration in the pictures, but my camera isn't great and my photography skills are even worse. The staining is all over both shoes and I'm confident it has something to do with my "care" for them because these were never exposed to bad weather or any other harmful conditions...What do I do? Have I ruined them? Can I fix this myself or do I have to send them somewhere? PLEASE HELP
5344431399_056d32a4ed.jpg
5344432177_542da64480.jpg
5345043718_1692d8b5de.jpg

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were you using a brush that was used for black shoes? That is what it looks like.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It might be the same "noob" mistake that I made. When I first polished my shoes, I did it too vigorously, essentially "burning" the leather black. I still wear the shoes, because I've started considering it sprezzatura. If you can't stand it, then you've ruined them.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you are using way too much polish, is my guess. i would strip and start over. or, better yet, if you are in a city with a high-end shoe-shine, go there and have them shined and watch and learn.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nmprisons
you are using way too much polish, is my guess. i would strip and start over. or, better yet, if you are in a city with a high-end shoe-shine, go there and have them shined and watch and learn.

I wouldn't suggest anyone who made the above pictured mistake try to strip their own shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads