• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my first Jantzen Shirt

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
First shirt, here are the measurements:

Shirt Length: 28
Chest: 35.2
Waist: 29.25
Hip: 35.2
Shoulder: 18.5
Sleeve Length: 32.75
Neck: 14.3 (15)
Height: 5'7
Weight: 150
Wrist Size ( No Allowance): 6.75
Special for Thicker Watch: Left Hand 1/4" Bigger
Shirt Fitting: Medium (6"-8" Allowance)
Share of Shoulder: Regular Shoulder
Shade of Body: Normal Shade
Collar Style: Collar Style # 2, (Normal Pointed)
Collar Stay: Removable Collar Stay
Interlining: Hard
Tie space: 1/4"(Standard)
Back Height: 1 5/8" (Standard)
Stitching for Collar & Cuff: 1/4" (Our Standard)
Collar Point: Same As Our Standard
Color of Button Hole and Button Thread: Select One
Cuff Style: Single Cuff Style #1S (Round Single Button)
Contract Collar: Select one
Cuff Height: Select One
Pocket Style : Pocket Style No. 2 no flap (Diamond)
Number of Pocket: Single Pocket
Front Placket: French Front with Stitching
Width of Placket: 1 3/8 (Our Standard)
Sleeve: Long Sleeve
Sleeves **** Extra Button: Without Sleeves **** Extra Buttons
Shirt Tail: Regular Tail
Shoulder Pleat: No Pleat
Select one: With Split Yoke

Overall the neck is rather tight, very difficult to button, so I'll loosen it a bit. The arm hole is a little baggy, but I'll be interested in hearing what others here would have to say.

Thank you!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you wash, dry, and then iron that shirt? I'm going to guess no. You might get a little shrinkage which does not bode well for the neck. The right arm looks a tad shorter than the left but that could just be the pictures. Are your shoulders really that square? There can be some material taken off of the upper arm area. I think it looks pretty good for a first shot. I think the main issue will be the neck size.

Also just a tip, that tie is about 1/3 the width of your body, or at least looks like it. I feel like the tie makes you look even smaller. You should go for something a bit slimmer or "proportional".

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.

I did wash dry and iron...though you can't see it from the picture. My shoulder does look square...is that a bad thing?

When you say take materials out of the upper arm, should I reflect that in asking or a shorter sleeve length?

The neck is very hard to button, maybe I got the collar to be too high. Any tip on the armhole? what measurement should I use so it's a bit more snug.

Lastly, thank you for your tip on the tie!

litho

Reaction score
Hello there. I am also considering taking the dive into online MTM.

One comment from seeing your pictures - That pocket seems abnormally large and I have never liked pockets on a shirt... unless you absolutely use it for a work shirt. I might be alone on such an opinion. Also the hips seem awfully slim and the length too short

also, after reading the forums Jantzen seem to be the ueber cheap guys but you would think they would evenly space out the buttons

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Litho, I absolutely agree that the pocket is too large. I will not be including it in future orders.

As for the hip and length of the shirt...this was done intentionally to ensure easier tuck and just overall bagginess around the waist. Am I wrong in thinking that way?

thanks!

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
alright, thank you all for your comments. I dearly appreciate it

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is one of the better looking shirts I've seen on this forum in a while. The button spacing doesn't appear that it is off, I think its just the foreshortened nature of the way they lay on your chest. The pocket does look a little large, but it lies well on your chest and is not obtrusive at all.

Very good look, especially for the first shirt. Other than the neck, I wouldn't change anything.

Do they charge according to size? I'm 6'3" and overweight, I wonder if I'd end up paying a great deal more for MTM from them or not? Just curious If I were to get something similar to this, what I could expect to pay. It would be worth it to me if I could get them from $80-100, for sure.

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Chips, thank you for your nice comments.
I would imagine that they would not charge for additional fabric or size, as you just enter the size in inches and they'll make it accordingly.

However, I'm sure that there are others on this board who would know for sure

Sunscreenboy

Reaction score
Hi, Tailor, thank you for your comments.

Just to clarify, you think the waist should be even smaller? perhaps .5 inch less.
How would you recommend I go about with the baggy upper sleeve, it's not a measurment that Janzen asks for. Should I just put it in the note section?
thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads