• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my box...

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hahaha. Well then. Thanks for putting me at ease. I think I'm going to like this build. And maybe once my processor goes out of date, I should be set for a AMD lottery core
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FYI....For those who have or are interested in getting the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3, please note... It would be a VERY good idea to buy this as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708016 The UD3 has no onboard VRM area heatsink, so slapping any CPU higher than 65W into this mobo is gonna cause problems. Be sure to get that sink if you plan on slapping a black label AMD processor on this board.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
MD released specs on their upcoming 6-core CPUs. Looks like you're good to go with your mobo; they are AM2+ and AM3 compatible. Surprisingly enough, they have a 6-core starting at $200! As someone who adopted the Intel LGA1366 platform about a year ago, this is rather disheartening given Intel's 6-core CPU starts at $1k retail!
lol8[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
AMD released specs on their upcoming 6-core CPUs. Looks like you're good to go with your mobo; they are AM2+ and AM3 compatible. Surprisingly enough, they have a 6-core starting at $200! As someone who adopted the Intel LGA1366 platform about a year ago, this is rather disheartening given Intel's 6-core CPU starts at $1k retail!
lol8[1].gif

6 cores do sound good -- on paper -- but according to most benchmarks in that review, Intel's higher end CPUs spanked AMD's X6 like a redheaded stepchild, particularly when it came to gaming. $300 is a pretty good price, but you still get what you paid for.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but man, spending all that money for gaming? i7, 1000W PSU, SLI....jeeze man. Just buy a damn Xbox or something lol. And, as far as what I need this for, video editing, Athlon is gonna suit me just fine
smile.gif
I agree though, 6 cores is a bit crazy right now. Especially when most programs aren't taking advantage of even 4 cores let alone 6. I only opted for a quad over dual b/c the apps I'll be running actually use it. Still though, I remind again....if you buy a Gigabyte 770x mobo, buy that heatsink!!!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Yeah, but man, spending all that money for gaming? i7, 1000W PSU, SLI....jeeze man. Just buy a damn Xbox or something lol.

One reason why I'm hesitating. I priced out an Intel i7 box not too long ago that was capable of playing BFBC2. The total price was around $1,500. As much as I love the Battlefield series, I really can't justify spending that much money for a few hours of gaming a week. A PS3 makes a lot of sense, but I hate gaming with my thumbs (it's probably been a decade since I last furiously thumbed my way through a game).

ffffuuuu.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same here. I was a hardcore first person gamer in college. Quake 2 was my game. I could never play anything other than a NES or Genesis game with a gamepad controller. It was keyboard + mouse or nothing...

I haven't kept up with games at all though, I don't know about Battlefield or Crysis really.

Hell, I just downloaded a torrent containing 2800 old DOS games whose copyrights have expired. Been having a lot of fun with that here and there.

Mainly playing Scorched Earth with the GF after work. More fun than any of the newer games to me lol.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
No doubt that a 6-core proc is pretty much a waste of money at this point seeing as there are very few software packages written to take advantage of the architecture.

However, I find it heartening that both Intel and AMD are introducing their 6-core CPUs on the same socket as their current 4-core CPUs. This means less money to upgrade to a 6-core in a few years when you want to step up from your 4-core. You won't need to buy a new mobo, just slap in the new chip and update your BIOS.

I don't know if you guys remember the AMD Socket 940, but that short-lived socket had maybe one update cycle and then it was gone. Everyone who had a Socket 940 board had to buy a new mobo when they upgraded their CPUs.

Point is, I think the system that javyn is building is in good shape because when he decides to upgrade to 6-core CPU he won't have to buy a new mobo.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I am rather leery still though. I was burned. The USB went out on my low end box and I haven't been able to find a replacement off newegg. I guess hoping for a good price on a Socket A mATX is too much to ask for lol.

Perhaps after this box is all finished, I will build a single core Sempron into this mATX case. "Howardux" shall live again!

But for now, gotta worry about this quad core, whose parts are arriving today, sans heatsink that I ordered last night. I also have to think of a good name for this computer.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an old ATX Socket A (aBit with upgraded NB cooler) with a 2800+ Barton at my parents house. Was retired 2 years ago. Let me know if you want it.

Also, Tiger Direct had the 1055T for $150 after a MIR. Damn good price for a 6 core that was JUST released if you ask me. Too bad it went pretty quickly.

1090T for $250 isn't shabby for AMD's flagship proc.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I'll take it off yer hands, how much do you want for it? PM me.

And, even though the 6 just came out, I think I'll be more than happy with my 4
smile.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Parts arrived, got it built yesterday. Aside from the MOSFET heatsink I ordered being too wide, the build went pretty smoothly. Wasn't any trouble to dremel the sides of the heatsink to fit.

Only issue is, I mounted the power supply upside down in the case (a lot of people do this with cases that have bottom mounted PSU). I'm assuming that's the way to go, but am not sure. Some people say mount upside down, some say mount with the fan facing the floor. *shrug.

Makes sense to me having it mounted upside down.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Parts arrived, got it built yesterday. Aside from the MOSFET heatsink I ordered being too wide, the build went pretty smoothly. Wasn't any trouble to dremel the sides of the heatsink to fit.

Only issue is, I mounted the power supply upside down in the case (a lot of people do this with cases that have bottom mounted PSU). I'm assuming that's the way to go, but am not sure. Some people say mount upside down, some say mount with the fan facing the floor. *shrug.

Makes sense to me having it mounted upside down.

Most cases with bottom mount PSU's will have an intake vent at the bottom of the case for the PSU to draw cool outside air from (rather than warm case air) when mounted right-side up.

Glad the build went smoothly. How was installing W7?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ran out of time, OS install is tonight. BIOS update is tomorrow, stress test Thursday, and Friday and Saturday are going to be spent overclocking this 2.8 ghz to 3.33. (I'm working w/ my friend who is only available 8-10 pm)

The Antec 300 doesn't have an intake vent on the bottom so I'm keeping it mounted with the fan facing up.

Even though I dremeled the heatsink to fit, it still BARELY touches a transistor on the motherboard. Undecided if I want to shave it more, or just leave it alone. I also don't know if I trust this thermal tape stuff. May wanna go with thermal compound.

Once it's all done and I bring it home, the last step is partitioning my W7 drive and installing Ubuntu 10.04 amd64. Sweeeet.

I also may or may not deck this thing out and fill those 3 extra fan bays with 120mms. I'll decide after I get a temp reading when the stress test is done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads