• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please criticise this RTW double breasted blazer

lightsaber

Reaction score
First of all, you can completely ignore the absurd comment about navy being a bad color for a blazer, 99% of all blazers are solid navy. The brilliance and usefulness of navy as a color for an odd jacket is that it is easy to coordinate the jacket with other colors and patterns in your trousers, shirt, tie, etc. As for the button placement - a matter of preference and your build. That wide button placement is ok and can look good for men of medium/average build, not so good for skinny or fat people.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightsaber
First of all, you can completely ignore the absurd comment about navy being a bad color for a blazer, 99% of all blazers are solid navy. The brilliance and usefulness of navy as a color for an odd jacket is that it is easy to coordinate the jacket with other colors and patterns in your trousers, shirt, tie, etc. As for the button placement - a matter of preference and your build. That wide button placement is ok and can look good for men of medium/average build, not so good for skinny or fat people.

agree with the navy comment. Its a staple. Boring as it may be, it works because it looks good and goes with almost everything. If you only can have one jacket, a navy blazer with out question is it.

fuzzywazzy

Reaction score
The price is too expensive, I think. And, the style did not appeal to me either. Furthermore, I agree about the buttons being too far wide apart.

JohnyJohn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuzzywazzy
The price is too expensive, I think. And, the style did not appeal to me either. Furthermore, I agree about the buttons being too far wide apart.

The price is reasonable given it is made from cashmere. However, it is certainly true that number of companies in Jermyn Street make their garments in China. Those that do not proudly comunicate it on product page.

Combination of cashmere cloth and crafted in England (even if it is RTW) make the price reasonable.

It all depends whether you believe in the quality of garment from this particular company.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Leaving aside a consideration of quality, the N&L items in their store are totally different than the branded items at House of Fraser.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin
Leaving aside a consideration of quality, the N&L items in their store are totally different than the branded items at House of Fraser.

+1.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But doesn't a navy DB blazer with metal buttons look a bot too much like an "elderly gentleman at the yacht club's annual dinner" kind of thing? While I agree that a navy SB blazer may be very "versatil", I am not sure that the same applies to the DB one. If I would go for any DB item, it would be a suit or a very very "interesting" sport coat, possibly with bold stripes.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your post is the first of a group which I just now view due to the inaccessibility of Internet on my part, and after reading what you and the others were so kind to write, I feel that I have underestimated the sincerity of many (not all) of this website's posters. 1. What you write above in regard to the navy color in question is both appreciated and interesting. First, your direct contradiction to the negative judgment navy as blazer color and naming this absurd. I did not know 99% blazers are navy. Your argument for navy as versatile seems true to me. Since I don't have any navy in my present clothing, I saw no danger of monotony. Elsewhere on this website I placed threads about scarves which received so much negative criticism I've considered as substitute wearing a knitted jacket which is a mixture of navy and white thread, but this is a later project. 2. The criticism of the button placement I consider (on the contrary to doubt on navy color) very relevant. Here again you have courage to contradict the previous majority opinion, however my size is 38S and I consider myself in previous years as skinny. Be assured your post belongs in my memory as object of further consideration. Thanks very much.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
agree with the navy comment. Its a staple. Boring as it may be, it works because it looks good and goes with almost everything. If you only can have one jacket, a navy blazer with out question is it.

Thanks very much for your expression to support a previous defender of navy as color for blazer and his argument of universal agreement in coordination. I don't have any clothing article in navy yet and need a jacket. I thought a double breasted blazer would have a formal traditional touch in contrast to my pink or red or salmon colored trousers. Later I hope to get a colorful tweed jacket, which seems to be a problem in RTW. Once again, thanks for taking the trouble to voice your view for my consideration.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuzzywazzy

If I object to the price, I must be aware where it is available for less (I'm not). I do not know what you mean by style. I need your measure i.e. proportion of ideal button placement.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnyJohn
The price is reasonable given it is made from cashmere. However, it is certainly true that number of companies in Jermyn Street make their garments in China. Those that do not proudly comunicate it on product page. Combination of cashmere cloth and crafted in England (even if it is RTW) make the price reasonable. It all depends whether you believe in the quality of garment from this particular company.
I doubt that Super 150 means cashmere. If the one cloth (cashmere) is indeed superior to the other (Super 150) in this case, I do not know why. I read in a recent newspaper article about Harris Tweed and the elderly owner of Brooks Taverner who has made the controversial and reductive change in weaving of the island mills that his jackets are manufactured in China, but I have not had the courage to ask New & Lingwood yet where their blazer or their other jackets are made. I assumed they were made in UK like the coats, but I'm unsure. This lack of knowledge of origin of manufacture does disturb me.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrenkin
Thank you for taking the trouble to make this confirmation of what I also believed to be the case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads