• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please comment on pictures of lapel bowing out

crpz32

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I just bought a peak lapel suit (my first) online based on correct measurements, but I have this one issue that needs to be addressed. My right lapel does not lay flat against the body. It bows out when I button the top button, as seen in the pictures. It lays flat when the button is undone.
i really like the suit and am hoping that this can be fixed without resorting to returning the suit.

Does this mean that the jacket is too tight around the chest? It is kinda loose around the waist so I am thinking about getting it suppressed a bit. Is it possible to fix this problem? I know it is harder to make a jacket 'wider', as opposed to getting it smaller.

Please give me some insight before I take it to the tailor.

As you can see, the left lapel has no problems laying flat against my chest. The right lapel however, refuses to behave. Also, the sleeves look terrible because I have the arm bent and holding the camera. I am very happy with the sleeve pitch.
left.jpg
right1.jpg

right.jpg
warped.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is not enough room in the shoulders, that is usualy what casuses lapel on a jacket to flare out like yours are. Try having a little room let out in the back shoulders of the coat.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When the jacket is unbuttoned do the fronts fall away?

The shoulders need to be squared up. The slope of the jacket shoulder is greater than your shoulder.

That jacket has fusing out the wazoo. No shaping in the chest to contour with your body as well.

You want to check the button position. It may need moving for a quick fix.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

The shoulders need to be squared up. The slope of the jacket shoulder is greater than your shoulder.

That jacket has fusing out the wazoo. No shaping in the chest to contour with your body as well.

man i wish i have a local tailor like you...

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

Yes, when the jacket is unbottoned everything looks fine, if that is what you mean by falling away. The rest of your words, they are far beyond my limited comprehension. I will meditate on them and pray for enlightment. I do understand the 'fusing out the wazoo' part, and that does not sound good at all. Darn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads