• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pitti 93 best and worst and everything in netween

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season seems to be the season for corduroy. I saw so many suits and overcoats executed well using this fabric. It’s such a classic yet understated choice, and the newer stuff is wool, cashmere, cotton with a bit of lycra, so it’s way more comfortable than the old stuff.

Zegna makes a cotton with 3% Elastine that has a "super soft from day one" feel that I used on a suit I had made a few years ago. The Elastine allows for a nice neat tailored look yet with just enough "give" that it is very comfortable. I notice that I never take my jacket off, even on long flights or driving long distance.

Most of the 100% cotton corduroy fabric that the major mills offer is as stiff as cardboard on one side. Choose wisely! I previously had an Isaia corduroy suit made from 10% cashmere/90% cotton. The fabric was fantastic. Unfortunately, when I went looking for a cashmere cotton blend for my next suit the cost of a 10/90 blend was about the same as 100% flannel cashmere from the major mills. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for corduroy.

Speaking of corduroy, I was going to post this in the Unfunded Liabilities thread, but since you mentioned it, is there such a thing as 100% wool corduroy? I thought it was generally all cotton or cotton-blends.

Yes there is a 100% wool corduroy. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need something to keep you especially warm. I have seen it most often on classic British field garments (hunting, fishing, etc.)

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was a great read. How have you found the shirt to hold up after washes? I was going to get a fully handmade shirt from Italy but now I’m not so sure. I’m pretty rough on my shirts.

It's held up just fine. The only very slight downside- if I sent the shirt out, the cleaners would definitely squash the rolled hem which would be a travesty, so I have to wash and iron it myself. Forget Italy. Get one of these.

dan'l

Reaction score
Zegna makes a cotton with 3% Elastine that has a "super soft from day one" feel that I used on a suit I had made a few years ago. The Elastine allows for a nice neat tailored look yet with just enough "give" that it is very comfortable. I notice that I never take my jacket off, even on long flights or driving long distance.

Most of the 100% cotton corduroy fabric that the major mills offer is as stiff as cardboard on one side. Choose wisely! I previously had an Isaia corduroy suit made from 10% cashmere/90% cotton. The fabric was fantastic. Unfortunately, when I went looking for a cashmere cotton blend for my next suit the cost of a 10/90 blend was about the same as 100% flannel cashmere from the major mills. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for corduroy.

Yes there is a 100% wool corduroy. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need something to keep you especially warm. I have seen it most often on classic British field garments (hunting, fishing, etc.)
Thanks for the detailed reply. Now I am need to find a length of the 3% Elastine or the 10/90 blend!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so what do those 100Hands shirts typically cost? If you don't mind my asking...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a great read. How have you found the shirt to hold up after washes? I was going to get a fully handmade shirt from Italy but now I’m not so sure. I’m pretty rough on my shirts.

It's held up just fine. The only very slight downside- if I sent the shirt out, the cleaners would definitely squash the rolled hem which would be a travesty, so I have to wash and iron it myself. Forget Italy. Get one of these.

@UrbanComposition and I both had shirts made. For me, a jersey pullover, since I never wear buttoned shirts per se. For @UrbanComposition , a white shirt and a shirt jacket thing that was still in prototype, iirc. We'll write up our impressions for the Journal. If they are anything like the shirts we saw in the showroom, it'll be pretty awesome. The handiwork was very detailed, precise, and the stitch density was pretty amazing for handiwork. Varvara and Ashkat are pretty nice too, and work in a pretty laidback environment, which is nice, especially given the bustle that is Florence during Pitti Uomo.

And to think that I didn't answer their phone calls for the longest time "The Netherlands? Probably some spam call." So, they are persistent as well.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already snarked about this on IG but it encapsulates the best and worst so here it is. Beautiful coat. So sad that dude has reverse Achilles heel syndrome: his ankles don’t experience cold but otherwise he’s freezing.

View attachment 906106
It’s something about the microclimate of Florence: hot down below and frigid five feet above the ground.

Also the coat-cape look is starting to make my skin crawl—another easy style ruined by the Pitti (bare)foot soldiers who turn sprezz into uniforms.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I haven’t done it (yet) I actually like the overcoat-over-shoulders look aesthetically. Also, as a practical apologist, I have to add that wearing it like that ABSOLUTELY beats carrying in over your arm when it gets warm. Carrying a heavy jacket just sucks.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They've partnered with The Rake to offer them between $350 and $450 USD.

That was a good review, Jeffery.

You wrote: "Based in Amsterdam, the production is actually done in India. I won't dive deep in to their story here as you can read all about it on their own website. Suffice it to say that a shirt with this level of workmanship would be completely out of the reach of most people if it were done anywhere other than a place like India or China. And perhaps I need to remind some readers that India and China were producing some of the best textiles in the world while the west was in burlap diapers. Some of the most intricate embroideries and handwork that I have ever seen have come out of Asia so we need to suspend our knee-jerk association of Asia with cheap, badly-made crap for a moment."

While some people do associate China and India with cheap, shoddy work, I think that most of us on SF would acknowledge that those countries are also capable of amazing, intricate workmanship - it all depends upon the budget for the work.

However, although I don't think that people here would really have a problem with the shirts being made in India, I do think that it's reasonable to question the cost. I mean, you can get a really well-made Italian shirt from a place like G.Inglese for $300 or $350, and the Inglese shirts have a lot of fine handwork, too. Is it reasonable to ask $350 to $450 for an Indian-made shirt, given that the cost of production is most likely a lot lower in India than it is in Italy?

Of course, I suppose that then introduces the question of "what is reasonable?" and it comes down to whatever the market is willing to bear. In the fashion world, a lot of items are marked up to truly ridiculous levels that are far, far in excess of the cost of production, so it's clearly not necessary for there to be any actual link between the cost of production and the selling price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads