• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink OCBDs with everything?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, it occurred to me today that I like pink more than blue. It's more fun. My plan for a while has been to buy a quartet of BB OCBDs when funds allow (funds aren't that permissive, so this could be a long time coming). I don't regularly wear any clothes I wouldn't wear with an OCBD.

Right now, my shirts are mostly a hodgepodge of thrifted stuff in patterns -- checks and stripes, with a few white solids. I get a lot of wear out of my two blue OCBDs, and so I was leaning towards getting two more of those, one pink, and an ecru. What if I just got four pink ones, though? My Uniqlo pink OCBD is pretty cool, but I'm not happy with the fit or the collar.

The thing is, I think pink would stand out more than blue. It would be more noticeable, more like dressing like a cartoon character. Is that a bad thing? I don't mean every day, of course, but perhaps three or four times a week. Pink looks good on me. Is it too much of a deviation from blue to have the same wearability?

Any thoughts on the specific merits (or demerits) of pink OCBDs instead of blue, or on the wisdom of having a signature item? I guess I already have a sort of signature appearance, since nobody else who runs in the same circles as I do wears coat and tie with any regularity.

FillW

Reaction score
I have a pink OCBD but have been hesitant to wear it to work. People are just now getting used to seeing another guy wearing sport jackets around here. lol
fight[1].gif

I'll wear it tomorrow with a Barva Tweed jacket for kicks.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^

I guess so. I'm leaning towards the opinion that pink is as wearable with different tie colors as blue -- maybe not the same shades, but I'd have no qualms about pairing it with blue, brown, or green. Solid burgundy might worry me a little bit, but in the white shirt thread Manton mentioned that he'd pair a burgundy tie with pink, and he certainly knows better than I do.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink shirts will be noticed much more than blue shirts. I think that blue also has a bit more flexibility in terms of what ties you can pair the shirt with. People may also be more likely to think you're wearing the same shirt everyday if you show up in a pink OCBD a couple of days in a row while they wouldn't even notice if you were wearing blue or white. This issue is probably exacerbated by the fact that it sounds like you'd be wearing the same exact OCBD style.

If you like pink that much and don't mind being noticed for wearing it (you will be and I am not sure how conservative your office is), then go for it. I would recommend trying to find a couple of different styles of pink shirts if you're going to do this (e.g. broadcloth, end on end, checks, bengal stripes). This may be harder to do with OCBDs than the spread collar shirts I tend to wear but it's worth looking into.

If I had to guess my shirt rotation, I'd say blue on average 2.5 times a week, pink 1.5 times a week and lavender once a week (white only when wearing a jacket and tie). Definitely a fair amount of color but (IMO) not taken to excess.

Having a signature item is an interesting idea. I tend to think that signature items should be a bit more versatile and less noticeable than a pink shirt. I could happily wear medium grey flannel trousers nearly everyday outside of summer. Shirts are a great place to try different colors and combinations. If you want to make pink your signature shirt color, I'd say 2-3 times a week is the maximum.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pink ocbds are great with preppy casual clothes. I'm not sure they are terribly work appropriate outside of a friday or a more casual environment...depending of course on the texture of the cloth, the actual color (salmon, bright pink, etc).

A somewhat faded pink OCBD with navy slim fit chinos, canvas belt, and boat shoes/drivers makes a great summer outfit.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pink ocbds are great with preppy casual clothes. I'm not sure they are terribly work appropriate outside of a friday or a more casual environment...depending of course on the texture of the cloth, the actual color (salmon, bright pink, etc).

I'd think that a pink OCBD is to a blue OCBD what a pink spread collar shirt is to a blue spread collar shirt. Pink could in general be frowned upon in a conservative environment, but I'm not sure why the fact OP would be wearing an OCBD rather than a spread collar would change the color analysis (unless you're arguing that pink shirts in general are not appropriate which I don't think you are?).

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YRR92 you don't need to justify pink. If it works with your skin tones and you enjoy wearing it, then do so and relax and enjoy. You'll probably receive a lot of compliments from women and some men. If anyone critisizes you for it, they are an unrefined boor so laugh it off and keep wearing it until no one cares anymore. It is that simple. I wear pink shirts often and never have any problems. Remember also, that a sport coat will cover most of the shirt anyway. Start with the suggestions that Quadcammer has given. Feel free to post photos here anytime. Tie colors need not be restricted to blue. If you like, lay out your pink shirts on the bed and lay out your ties. Take and post a photo here and we will help you select ties for the shirts.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd think that a pink OCBD is to a blue OCBD what a pink spread collar shirt is to a blue spread collar shirt. Pink could in general be frowned upon in a conservative environment, but I'm not sure why the fact OP would be wearing an OCBD rather than a spread collar would change the color analysis (unless you're arguing that pink shirts in general are not appropriate which I don't think you are?).

I generally view OCBDs as more casual to start. Pink is a less accepted conservative color. When combined, I think pink OCBD becomes the purvey of a more casual atmosphere.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a pink OCBD shirt yesterday to the office. I met with three potential new clients and closed all three of them. Of course, I work in the Sierra Foothills of California, so it's not exactly a bastion of conservative business dress.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess my shirt rotation, I'd say blue on average 2.5 times a week, pink 1.5 times a week and lavender once a week (white only when wearing a jacket and tie). Definitely a fair amount of color but (IMO) not taken to excess.
One quick question: When I cut up the one blue shirt and the one pink shirt and stitch them back together to get that ratio right, should I use the yoke of one and the back of the other, or run a seam up the back?
rimshot.gif

I guess I'm asking from more of a purely aesthetic point of view, since "social appropriateness" isn't a strong factor for me -- I'm an artist, so I could dress a hell of a lot more strangely than I'm inclined to and get away with it.

Do y'all reckon that, aesthetically, a pink ocbd is just a warm-toned version of a blue ocbd?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One quick question: When I cut up the one blue shirt and the one pink shirt and stitch them back together to get that ratio right, should I use the yoke of one and the back of the other, or run a seam up the back? :rimshot:

Well played, sir.

As you're an artist who can get away with a lot more, you might be able to make a regular pink shirt work pretty well for you. I'm just not a huge fan of wearing the same exact shirt most days. I get it for white shirts, but even with blue shirts, I try to mix up the patterns. People have definitely had stranger signature items, however. If it looks good on you, you could do a lot worse.

FillW

Reaction score
Well played, sir.

As you're an artist who can get away with a lot more, you might be able to make a regular pink shirt work pretty well for you. I'm just not a huge fan of wearing the same exact shirt most days. I get it for white shirts, but even with blue shirts, I try to mix up the patterns. People have definitely had stranger signature items, however. If it looks good on you, you could do a lot worse.

Good point. I wore blue shirts for the last two days but changed up today with a white button down I bought at a thrift shop last night. I chickened out on wearing the pink shirt this week.
lol8[1].gif

Next week I'll put it into the shirt rotation.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:

FillW

Reaction score
Wearing a pink dress shirt today (but it's not OCBD).
peepwall[1].gif

Looks pretty good. IMHO

Noone has made a comment one way or another...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads