• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of nice gloves...?

rharlow

Reaction score
The silk-lined hazelnut lambskin by LC at Beige Habilleur look wonderful. They would be suitable for mild to cooler weather, maybe 10-15 degrees C. They won't be as durable as peccary, but they should be plenty durable for wearing three days per week. Plus, they would be better in the rain than peccary, since peccary is a terrible material for wet weather. And, since they're by LC, you can be assured that the hand-stitching work is top notch.

That being said, if you would like better insulated gloves that would insulate well down to 0 degrees C, and won't be worn in the rain or snow, I would recommend cashmere-lined peccary. I don't have much experience with Merola, but they are highly regarded and their quality should be at least equal to Hungant. The advantage I see in Hungant, though, is that you can get them made to order more easily, specifying the hide color, stitching color, strap type (button, wrap, button-hole, etc), and even color of the hide used in the quirks. Speaking of quirks, don't forget to request them. If the Merola gloves do not include quirks, that would be a deal breaker in my opinion. Also, as mentioned above, you can order a one-piece pattern from Hungant for an extra $100, not sure if Merola offers this.
Hope this helps!

robast

Reaction score
The silk-lined hazelnut lambskin by LC at Beige Habilleur look wonderful. They would be suitable for mild to cooler weather, maybe 10-15 degrees C. They won't be as durable as peccary, but they should be plenty durable for wearing three days per week. Plus, they would be better in the rain than peccary, since peccary is a terrible material for wet weather. And, since they're by LC, you can be assured that the hand-stitching work is top notch.

That being said, if you would like better insulated gloves that would insulate well down to 0 degrees C, and won't be worn in the rain or snow, I would recommend cashmere-lined peccary. I don't have much experience with Merola, but they are highly regarded and their quality should be at least equal to Hungant. The advantage I see in Hungant, though, is that you can get them made to order more easily, specifying the hide color, stitching color, strap type (button, wrap, button-hole, etc), and even color of the hide used in the quirks. Speaking of quirks, don't forget to request them. If the Merola gloves do not include quirks, that would be a deal breaker in my opinion. Also, as mentioned above, you can order a one-piece pattern from Hungant for an extra $100, not sure if Merola offers this.
Hope this helps!
Thank you for your answer!
I find a one-piece an absolute must, way sleeker and more comfortable. And indeed, Peccary doesn't hold up in the rain. My previous pair was permanently stained because of it. Fort belvedère has a new type of hydropeccary that supposedly is waterproof. Haven't tested the quality of the leather though.The lambskin from Lavabre currently has my preference, simply because it looks amazing and I can wear it through a lot of seasons and occasions. Also, should I invest in kidskin gloves instead of lambskin? I heard that is Lavabre Cadet's specialty. Lastly, do the Lavabre gloves fit true to size?

rharlow

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer!
I find a one-piece an absolute must, way sleeker and more comfortable. And indeed, Peccary doesn't hold up in the rain. My previous pair was permanently stained because of it. Fort belvedère has a new type of hydropeccary that supposedly is waterproof. Haven't tested the quality of the leather though.The lambskin from Lavabre currently has my preference, simply because it looks amazing and I can wear it through a lot of seasons and occasions. Also, should I invest in kidskin gloves instead of lambskin? I heard that is Lavabre Cadet's specialty. Lastly, do the Lavabre gloves fit true to size?

Yes I agree, one-piece is a must! The Fort Belvedere hydropeccary looks promising, but I've read reviews that the texture is not quite the same as natural peccary. Their gloves look nice, but my biggest hesitation with them is regarding their fit. Reviews seem to indicate that they have a wide palm and shorter fingers than some other makers. It may fit many hands, but I happen to have very flat palms and long slender fingers. I've found, happily (though not for my wallet!), that Lavabre Cadet fits my hands particularly well. Regarding their fit, it's hard to say what true-to-size means with gloves. I can tell you that my knuckles are 22 cm around (hand slightly curled), and my longest finger is 8.5 cm long. With these dimensions I'm a perfect fit with LC size 8.5, both in silk and cashmere lining (their shearling is a little tight for me, due to the thick fur, I might order a 9 for my shearlings if I could purchase again).

Regarding lambskin vs kidskin. I don't have much experience with the former, but I own two pairs of LC kidskin. This is indeed their specialty, and worth the investment. The kidskin is very supple and soft, while my LC goatskins are coarse and thick. I don't wear the kidskins in wet weather, while I intend to work my goatskins very hard during the winter, scraping ice, etc. My hunch is that the durability and softness of sheepskin (not shearling, but like the ones you saw at Beige Habilleur) is somewhere between kidskin and goatskin. I wouldn't hesitate to wear them in wet weather. So, if you're looking for something very nice, yet durable and good for rain, I would go with the sheepskin. But if you would like something a bit finer, and intend to avoid rain, go with their kidskin, since they are the world experts on kidskin gloves.

Last edited:

rharlow

Reaction score
I am considering the idea of buying a new pair of peccary gloves by Lavabre Cadet... but before paying so much money I'd like to receive a review about that: do they worth? Comparing them to HESTRA peccary?
We are talking of about 500€ of difference, therefore I need some more information...

One more thought about Lavabre Cadet peccary gloves. Another reason to buy them bespoke is that one could then have the option of selecting a custom button closure (off the rack they usually have no closure). Plus, they said they could make them a little longer than usual for my longer-than-normal palms. Again, for $1100, one should really expect the perfect fit.

jayvee

Reaction score
I am looking for a very cold weather glove, from 0 to -15 c. From the options I’ve found I’ve narrowed it down to either lambskin gloves or hairsheep leather and rabbit fur lined - what would be warmer?

I already have mitts.

robast

Reaction score
I am looking for a very cold weather glove, from 0 to -15 c. From the options I’ve found I’ve narrowed it down to either lambskin gloves or hairsheep leather and rabbit fur lined - what would be warmer?

I already have mitts.

Don't your mitts already protect you in very cold weather? In any case, I have found my rabbit fur lined gloves to be very warm, they'd do fine in those temperatures. Hope this helps!

robast

Reaction score
Yes I agree, one-piece is a must! The Fort Belvedere hydropeccary looks promising, but I've read reviews that the texture is not quite the same as natural peccary. Their gloves look nice, but my biggest hesitation with them is regarding their fit. Reviews seem to indicate that they have a wide palm and shorter fingers than some other makers. It may fit many hands, but I happen to have very flat palms and long slender fingers. I've found, happily (though not for my wallet!), that Lavabre Cadet fits my hands particularly well. Regarding their fit, it's hard to say what true-to-size means with gloves. I can tell you that my knuckles are 22 cm around (hand slightly curled), and my longest finger is 8.5 cm long. With these dimensions I'm a perfect fit with LC size 8.5, both in silk and cashmere lining (their shearling is a little tight for me, due to the thick fur, I might order a 9 for my shearlings if I could purchase again).

Regarding lambskin vs kidskin. I don't have much experience with the former, but I own two pairs of LC kidskin. This is indeed their specialty, and worth the investment. The kidskin is very supple and soft, while my LC goatskins are coarse and thick. I don't wear the kidskins in wet weather, while I intend to work my goatskins very hard during the winter, scraping ice, etc. My hunch is that the durability and softness of sheepskin (not shearling, but like the ones you saw at Beige Habilleur) is somewhere between kidskin and goatskin. I wouldn't hesitate to wear them in wet weather. So, if you're looking for something very nice, yet durable and good for rain, I would go with the sheepskin. But if you would like something a bit finer, and intend to avoid rain, go with their kidskin, since they are the world experts on kidskin gloves.

I just discovered that Camille Fournet also has a very nice selection of lavabre gloves. Their deerskin cashmere lined gloves look amazing! One more thing about fit though: on the beige habilleur site I'm an 8,5; whereas on the Camille Fournet site I'm an 8. My knuckle circumference is 21,5 centimetres. I guess this has to be a mistake by one of these sites, now I just don't know which size to pick...

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I already have mitts.

Tried shearling gloves?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s what I mean lambskin/shearling vs rabbit fur.

My mitts are primaloft abominations, I want something nicer.

I have a pair of shearling and a deerskin pair that’s rabbit fur lined. I’d say the shearling are just slightly warmer but not that suitable when it’s raining or snowing heavily and they are more bulky/less stylish so it might just depend on the type of setting in which you want to wear these

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of mink lined Merolas that are very warm, don’t know if they still make them though.

jayvee

Reaction score
I have a pair of shearling and a deerskin pair that’s rabbit fur lined. I’d say the shearling are just slightly warmer but not that suitable when it’s raining or snowing heavily and they are more bulky/less stylish so it might just depend on the type of setting in which you want to wear these

That’s helpful thanks.

I may go for a deerskin rabbit fur pair. I measure my hand as 8.3 inches just under 8.5. Glove wisdom seems to be to size down to 8 but I am hesitant thinking as winter gloves they should not be so tight. What do you guys say?

robast

Reaction score
That’s helpful thanks.

I may go for a deerskin rabbit fur pair. I measure my hand as 8.3 inches just under 8.5. Glove wisdom seems to be to size down to 8 but I am hesitant thinking as winter gloves they should not be so tight. What do you guys say?
With a thick lining it'd be best to size up to a size 8.5, I had to do the same when i got mine

rharlow

Reaction score
With a thick lining it'd be best to size up to a size 8.5, I had to do the same when i got mine
Ditto on sizing up to 8.5 in your case. I highly recommend Lavabre Cadet shearling for very cold weather. Being one-piece, and with their particularly fine hand stitching, they are still sleek, relatively speaking (see my pics on this thread, previous page or two). However, deerskin with rabbit fur should be very warm as well, and even more durable. I'd recommend made to order from Hungant for these, and request a button/strap closure as it's very secure and easy to open/close.

rharlow

Reaction score
I just discovered that Camille Fournet also has a very nice selection of lavabre gloves. Their deerskin cashmere lined gloves look amazing! One more thing about fit though: on the beige habilleur site I'm an 8,5; whereas on the Camille Fournet site I'm an 8. My knuckle circumference is 21,5 centimetres. I guess this has to be a mistake by one of these sites, now I just don't know which size to pick...
The sizing on the Camille Fournet site must be a typo. I'm 22 cm around and I fit Lavabre Cadet 8.5 perfectly. 8 would probably be too small for 21.5. Incidentally, Camille Fournet owns Lavabre Cadet and is the primary retailer for their gloves. For example, to order LC bespoke, you go through them. Strange, though, that their sizing on their website is off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads