• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal shopper / help with style & fit?

CarllraC

Reaction score
I am at my wits end at finding clothes that fit.

I am very tall and skinny. I have some 70$ CK jeans that fit ok for the first 6 hours after being in the dryer. I have some T-shirts that fit decently, and plenty that don't. I have zero button down shirts that fit well.

I am looking for a service that will help me develop a personal style and help me buy 3 casual outfits that *fit*. I don't want to be tied to any particular store. Within reason, screw the cost. Where would I find a service like this, and do you have any recommendations?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd suggest you just read up on fit here and at Ask Andy. Few salesmen these days have any idea how clothes should fit, and I'm skeptical that most personal shoppers would be much better. If you were lucky enough to find one who did, and who was more interested in helping you than making a sale, you'd still want to know the whys and hows for the next time, right?

Beyond that, I'd say that your money is better spent with a good tailor. I too have a lean build, and I can tell you that the chief problem we face is that most RTW clothes simply aren't cut for our body type. I've hunted and hunted for slim-fit shirts that are cut slim enough, but ultimately, I've had far better luck simply finding shirts I like and having them altered to fit me properly. Once you learn the basics, it's easy to tell which shirts can be made to fit properly and which can't. Same is true for trousers.

Good luck!

cpac

Reaction score
very tall and skinny is a shape that is going to be hard to fit off the rack no matter what.

Custom is your friend.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Ralph Lauren "custom-fit" polos. It's a misnomer, btw, there is nothing custom about it. It's their term for slim-fit. I recommend them because they are longer than average modern polos and fit trim.

For buttoned shirts, MTM is really your best option. Depending on where you live, you should probably be able to get fitted by an tailor. Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise against Jantzen and the like. Stick around here long enough, and you'll see that one person's version of an "almost perfect fitting shirt" is vastly different from the next's.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CarllraC
I am at my wits end at finding clothes that fit.

I am very tall and skinny. I have some 70$ CK jeans that fit ok for the first 6 hours after being in the dryer. I have some T-shirts that fit decently, and plenty that don't. I have zero button down shirts that fit well.

I am looking for a service that will help me develop a personal style and help me buy 3 casual outfits that *fit*. I don't want to be tied to any particular store. Within reason, screw the cost. Where would I find a service like this, and do you have any recommendations?

Um, where are you based? Plenty of places use Individualized Shirts for MTM. And places like seize sure vingt will make shirt sleeves longer or shorter, as you like. If you are in Boston, I can give you a hand. PM me.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Try Ralph Lauren "custom-fit" polos. It's a misnomer, btw, there is nothing custom about it. It's their term for slim-fit. I recommend them because they are longer than average modern polos and fit trim.

For buttoned shirts, MTM is really your best option. Depending on where you live, you should probably be able to get fitted by an tailor. Unless you know what you're doing, I'd advise against Jantzen and the like. Stick around here long enough, and you'll see that one person's version of an "almost perfect fitting shirt" is vastly different from the next's.

Since the custom-fit came out have the regular polos ballooned? Maybe they were just always that big. It is strange though, a size small in the traditional fit still seems 2 sizes too big for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads