• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 714 vs 649

rody

Reaction score
What size do you thinks are 52?

Last edited:

Chris Hanson

Reaction score
Could you explain this a little more in depth? Everything about these sunglasses fits perfectly expect for the fact that they keep slipping a good 2 inches down my nose which makes them unwearable.
@aarp Sorry for the late reply but I don't read my emails as much as I should. The curve where the arm goes from horizontal to begin to curve around your ear. If you just create a sharper angle at this point then it grips on to your ear more. You do not need to wrap them around your ear as such it is just that the sharper angle creates a better hold. They are heavy sunglasses and so I sometimes have to reposition them but after heating with the hairdryer and re shaping the ear curve they grip allot better to the point were I don't realise I am wearing them. Is that clearer?

I have a similar issue with mine slipping down my nose. When I first got them, the arms weren't nearly long enough to wrap around my ears. I got an eye glass place to straighten them out but I still wasn't happy with how they fit. I dunked one arm in some boiling water to try to get it to work (note, never do this, I shouldn't have, it discolored the plastic). Still they now sit on my face fine but slip down my nose. Essentially, I need some longer arms for the glasses. Anyone have any ideas? I have the 649s in 52 with 135 arms I think. I tried emailing luxxotica every day for about two weeks and never got a response, surprise. Anyone know how I might modify these, too nice to relegate to just driving shades.

You do not need to wrap them around as such, just tighten the angle at which they begin to curve. Try this and keep trying it until you reach a desirable curvature. I heated mine about 4 or 5 separate occasions until I was happy. Now my ear pieces are almost a 90 degree angle from the arm. Initially they are like 45 degree. My point is you must have enough to play with.

Chris Hanson

Reaction score
@aarp Sorry for the late reply but I don't read my emails as much as I should. The curve where the arm goes from horizontal to begin to curve around your ear. If you just create a sharper angle at this point then it grips on to your ear more. You do not need to wrap them around your ear as such it is just that the sharper angle creates a better hold. They are heavy sunglasses and so I sometimes have to reposition them but after heating with the hairdryer and re shaping the ear curve they grip allot better to the point were I don't realise I am wearing them. Is that clearer?

And other guy, You should have enough length to play around with and make this work no matter how deep you face is :)
Hope this helps the both of you.

mr usneun

Reaction score
@rody
I bought a cheap pair for 100 dollar excl. shipping

they are definitely authentic! Came with everything and look and feel "very expensive".

Anyone has a 52mm 2994 in tortoise FS?

mr usneun

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me, is the 649 49mm the same height as the 714 52mm?

I have the 714 and it's a bit too big for my face. So anyone has a 49mm 649?

urymoto

Reaction score

Hi guys, i want buy a persol 714 and i see in ebay At 140 dlls, the seller have a very good reputation, do you think are authentic, a year ago I bought on eBay a polarized 649 with the price 230 dlls and are authentic, but this same seller have the 714 at 200 dlls, and i want Save 60 dlls with the other seller, what do you thinks guys? And why are so cheap compared with the retail prices, sorry for my bad english

Just bought a pair at 140. Look auentic, weih 45 grams, like they should, but not polarized

Youngj

Reaction score

Just bought a pair at 140. Look auentic, weih 45 grams, like they should, but not polarized

Is that 714 that weigh 45 grams?
How do you know they're meant to be 45? I can't find a weight on persols site.

I've just got some 649's that weigh 45g's

Also the arm was detached when they arrived but it slots back in fine and tightly
Will get a picture up shortly

Youngj

Reaction score
They've offered a refund if i send back but I might just ask for a partial one if they're real
Dab of glue will stop it coming of again

Youngj

Reaction score
They've offered a refund if i send back but I might just ask for a partial one if they're real
Dab of glue will stop it coming of again

Kouros84

Reaction score
Great contributions here people! Very informative.

I bought some fake Mcqueen Persol 714s with the blue lens. They are almost identical to the originals, the only difference being they fold differently, & don't have the name 'Steve McQueen' indented along the side rims.

Luckily I got a free paid of the brown lenses, because to my great surprise, the blue colour was far too light. I ordered them blindly after seeing pics of them on the internet, so I only have myself to blame, but when I wore them they looked like a pair of ridiculous fake ****** glasses. I wondered if I was just paranoid, so I asked a friend what he thought & he confirmed my suspicion.

Instead of looking like I was wearing a pair of slick Persols with a subtle color gradation for a little extra pizzaz, it just looked like I was wearing conspicuous BLUE! shades. Strange - when McQueen wears them, the blue is still noticeable, but looks darker, & much more subtle.

It makes me wonder whether Mcqueen's pair &/or the originals have a different shade of blue? I have yet to solve this mystery ;)

mr usneun

Reaction score
Great contributions here people! Very informative.

I bought some fake Mcqueen Persol 714s with the blue lens. They are almost identical to the originals, the only difference being they fold differently, & don't have the name 'Steve McQueen' indented along the side rims.

Luckily I got a free paid of the brown lenses, because to my great surprise, the blue colour was far too light. I ordered them blindly after seeing pics of them on the internet, so I only have myself to blame, but when I wore them they looked like a pair of ridiculous fake ****** glasses. I wondered if I was just paranoid, so I asked a friend what he thought & he confirmed my suspicion.

Instead of looking like I was wearing a pair of slick Persols with a subtle color gradation for a little extra pizzaz, it just looked like I was wearing conspicuous BLUE! shades. Strange - when McQueen wears them, the blue is still noticeable, but looks darker, & much more subtle.

It makes me wonder whether Mcqueen's pair &/or the originals have a different shade of blue? I have yet to solve this mystery
wink.gif

where did you get fake persols? never heard / seen any pair..

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I saw the blue lens (S3) at a Sunglass Hut. It looks hideous in person. I doubt anyone can pull that off without looking like a complete tool.

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
I saw the blue lens (S3) at a Sunglass Hut. It looks hideous in person. I doubt anyone can pull that off without looking like a complete tool.

The SM Special Edition blues are quite nice. There's a close colourway in a 714 that you see floating around - but they aren't as nice as the SM blue.

I own the special eds and they are great - the lens colour compliments the mottled acetate really well. I'm not a complete tool (I am a massive tool, fwiw) and I can pull them off.

specialedd

Reaction score
i just picked up a pair of the 714sm special edition from solstice, but i see that if i fold the legs it will scratch the lens......how the heck am i supposed to fold it? i looked it up on youtube and other people's glasses fold going up/down instead of going from in/out.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads