• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 714 vs 649

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone ever get red marks around their nose from wearing these sunglasses? Or is it just me lol 

I haven't paid attention but I will check. They slide down my nose a bit when I perspire, is this happening to anyone else?

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
oh boy I should have read this thread first, I ordered the size 49 online without trying them on since nobody in china is selling persols apparently. I usually never order clothing online but in every mall I went I could only find the usual suspects from ray ban to fendi and gucci but no persols in sight. the measurements of the 54 and 52s appeared just too large so I went with the 49 after my attempt at folding a pair of paper to the given size I came to the conclusion that 49 is the way to go so I pulled the trigger.

you can tell if they don't fit me if they are on B&S in a few days :D

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone ever get red marks around their nose from wearing these sunglasses? Or is it just me lol 

I haven't paid attention but I will check. They slide down my nose a bit when I perspire, is this happening to anyone else?

I have a pair of 649s, sz 54. Fit me well across the face and head, though the nose bridge is a little too small (20mm when I probably ideally need 23mm), so if I perspire they can slip down my nose, as they are also heavy sunglasses. These days I just keep them in my car as driving sunglasses. Unfortunately for me, the bridge measurement is uniform across the 649/714 size ranges.

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that can recraft acetate frames, perhaps shave a bit off the keyhole bridge to make the span larger for my preposterous nose? The 649s are quite thick around the bridge so I think it could be done without compromising the integrity of the frame.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd like to know if there is anyone out there that can recraft acetate frames, perhaps shave a bit off the keyhole bridge to make the span larger for my preposterous nose? The 649s are quite thick around the bridge so I think it could be done without compromising the integrity of the frame.

I think an optician can mold them through heating a little. I know they can do this with the temples. asking won't hurt.

hamburger80

Reaction score
Hello, i can't decide which size that i should buy, 52mm or 54mm. Are those size 52mm or 54 mm shown in the photos ? Do you have any ideas ?

Last edited:

JoeTurner

Reaction score
I do, even after a mere 30 secs of wearing them. I think it is just because they are heavier than your usual sunglasses (say Wayfearer), in particular because of the the glass lenses (as opposed to plastic) and the bridge over the nose which makes all the weight of the glasses lie on the sides of the nose.

I have a pair of 649 with blue lenses in 52 and love them. It's probably just wishful thinking but I think they fit me. I agree with the consensus that the 54mm model is too big for most people, I even had doubts about the 52 but I really liked the blue lenses and couldn't find them in 49 so I sticked with them and I am pretty happy.

I also have a pair of 2994 (see below) ordered. I find them to be a nice twist on the ubiquitous Wayfearer. Does anyone have or tried them? I'd like some feedback on those.

Chris Hanson

Reaction score
I took my Steve Mcqueen Special Editions back to Sunglasses Hut and they heated and reshaped the ear piece. I needed to further tweak them so heated using a hairdryer and after 20-30 seconds started to mould the ear piece downwards and inwards. Be careful as I imagine there is a possibility of the plastic cracking. Just make sure the ear piece is pliable before using too much force. If you use a repetitive stroking motion this worked for me. Now that the ear piece folds tightly around my ear I have no problems with the glasses slipping down my face as they used to. It makes them allot more comfortable on the nose also because the weight is then equally distributed between the nose and ears.

I have the Dark Havana with Blue Lens however have had doubts ever since purchasing as to if the blue lens looks weird. I think I would have preferred a normal brown lens. Only bought them new a month ago so I will give them a few weeks to see if they grow on me and if not will hope to sell them. Just worried I won't get a good resale value. Was hoping to find more pictures online of people wearing this same style to see how they look out in the sunlight but have not had much luck. Most pictures seem to be in the dark where the lenses look awesome. In the sun I think they may look too crazy! It seems easier to judge seeing them on someone else.

aarp

Reaction score
I took my Steve Mcqueen Special Editions back to Sunglasses Hut and they heated and reshaped the ear piece. I needed to further tweak them so heated using a hairdryer and after 20-30 seconds started to mould the ear piece downwards and inwards. Be careful as I imagine there is a possibility of the plastic cracking. Just make sure the ear piece is pliable before using too much force. If you use a repetitive stroking motion this worked for me. Now that the ear piece folds tightly around my ear I have no problems with the glasses slipping down my face as they used to. It makes them allot more comfortable on the nose also because the weight is then equally distributed between the nose and ears.
Could you explain this a little more in depth? Everything about these sunglasses fits perfectly expect for the fact that they keep slipping a good 2 inches down my nose which makes them unwearable.

Last edited:

jsizzle24

Reaction score
I just got the 714's in 54 and I notice that they sort of angle out at my temple. I do have a large head and was just wondering if any of you have the arms sort of angle out near your temples:embar:

armstwa

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with mine slipping down my nose. When I first got them, the arms weren't nearly long enough to wrap around my ears. I got an eye glass place to straighten them out but I still wasn't happy with how they fit. I dunked one arm in some boiling water to try to get it to work (note, never do this, I shouldn't have, it discolored the plastic). Still they now sit on my face fine but slip down my nose. Essentially, I need some longer arms for the glasses. Anyone have any ideas? I have the 649s in 52 with 135 arms I think. I tried emailing luxxotica every day for about two weeks and never got a response, surprise. Anyone know how I might modify these, too nice to relegate to just driving shades.

rody

Reaction score
Hi guys, i want buy a persol 714 and i see in ebay At 140 dlls, the seller have a very good reputation, do you think are authentic, a year ago I bought on eBay a polarized 649 with the price 230 dlls and are authentic, but this same seller have the 714 at 200 dlls, and i want Save 60 dlls with the other seller, what do you thinks guys? And why are so cheap compared with the retail prices, sorry for my bad english

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads