• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People's conceptions of other people who listen to classical music...??.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I listen to a fair bit of Chopin, Bach, etc. at low volume through a pair of half-decent external speakers while doing desk work. As the new kid on the block, my portion of the office is shared with a number of young'ish, slightly-less-than-30 year-old girls who all find me rather inscrutable as a result.

I've always been extremely sensitive to music (and my musical surroundings), so I'm often concerned - in case others are the same way - if my musical tastes are causing my co-workers consternation. I'm primarily concerned about the younger cats, I suppose, as a few of the seniors have already paused to listen and comment amicably on a number of occasions.

Since most of you probably listen to contemporary music, care to share your thoughts on how you would feel sharing a space with a fan of "classical" music (I hate that term)? There are certainly occasions where I sense that the Lady Gaga tune a few desks over is being turned up to kill what owns her.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The popular conception of people who listen to classical music is Hannibal Lechter.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
The popular conception of people who listen to classical music is Hannibal Lechter.

+1

I had a music teacher in undergrad ("Clapping for Credit," as the class was popularly known) who looked, acted, and appreciated music pretty much identically to Hannibal Lecter. It was eerie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Classical music is the only type of music I can have on while I work, all other types of music distracts me.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Classical music distracts me. Which can be a good thing at times, but I tend not to leave it on as wallpaper.

hootdocta5

Reaction score
Using words like inscrutable and consternation probably doesn't help your case.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hootdocta5
Using words like inscrutable and consternation probably doesn't help your case.

You're right.
facepalm.gif

Sub "interesting" and "to wet their pants in frustration."

word

Reaction score
I play classical and ambient techno/electronic (I've picked out about 200 tracks of stuff w/o any heavy beats and let it fly on shuffle) at work. Ambient works great as background music. I enjoy it because you can pay close attention to the music and it becomes very engaging. At the same time you can tune it out and it won't distract you very much. If somebody comes to talk to you it's often slow or aimless enough that they won't care about it.

Classical is generally more engaging, I play it on very slow days. I've been called pretentious for liking it though. But the guy that said that plays screamo all day and is generally not well liked by anybody within earshot of his work area. But to be honest I don't know that much about classical. I just copied all my aunts CDs.

Most people get confused when somebody listens to music on their own accord instead of what the riaa spoon feeds them. So I don't know what to tell you. As long as it isn't genuinely distracting co-workers just keep doin your thing. I'd avoid getting into music arguments because everybody on the planet feels their music preferences make them a special sunflower.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Most people get confused when somebody listens to music on their own accord instead of what the riaa spoon feeds them. So I don't know what to tell you. As long as it isn't genuinely distracting co-workers just keep doin your thing. I'd avoid getting into music arguments because everybody on the planet feels their music preferences make them a special sunflower.

Interesting. My observations track well with your own.

FWIW, I intentionally choose classical pieces that are not difficult to digest - nocturnes, lute suites, etc. The more "engaging" stuff I leave for home.

Sometimes, just for kicks I put on some of Ariel Pink's lo-fi garage recordings (you guys familiar with his stuff?) just to see if I can get a rise out of my co-workers.

I really do wish more were done to impress upon kids the means/"worthwhileness" of becoming familiar with classical music. If they only knew how much beauty and personal fulfillment is dormant in the thousands and thousands of recordings we have...
confused.gif

AgentQ

Reaction score
If you're in a professional environment, you really shouldn't be playing music on loudspeakers at all.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
Interesting. My observations track well with your own.

FWIW, I intentionally choose classical pieces that are not difficult to digest - nocturnes, lute suites, etc. The more "engaging" stuff I leave for home.

Sometimes, just for kicks I put on some of Ariel Pink's lo-fi garage recordings (you guys familiar with his stuff?) just to see if I can get a rise out of my co-workers.

I really do wish more were done to impress upon kids the means/"worthwhileness" of becoming familiar with classical music. If they only knew how much beauty and personal fulfillment is dormant in the thousands and thousands of recordings we have...
confused.gif

I normally play piano conciertos in the background, or turn on movie scores. For some reason, true orchestral music from the 1500-1900s just doesn't interest me as much, whereas I love movie scores. They just have a more modern take on music, incorporate many different elements as opposed to heavy melodies and (imo) often boring symphonies. I like a lot of movement in my orchestral pieces.
confused.gif
Not to say I dislike the classics (been to several live concerts), just not my favorite...

Originally Posted by AgentQ
If you're in a professional environment, you really shouldn't be playing music on loudspeakers at all.
False. It should only be an issue if you're on a client-facing side of the workplace (e.g. if you're a consultant, out on a sales call, etc). Lighten up a little, people. Jesus.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
I normally play piano conciertos in the background, or turn on movie scores. For some reason, true orchestral music from the 1500-1900s just doesn't interest me as much, whereas I love movie scores. They just have a more modern take on music, incorporate many different elements as opposed to heavy melodies and (imo) often boring symphonies. I like a lot of movement in my orchestral pieces.
confused.gif
Not to say I dislike the classics (been to several live concerts), just not my favorite...

Try Beethoven's symphonies or piano concertos. But you'll have to give them two or three dedicated listens before they "open up". As for listening to music generally, I find many of the "professionals" in my office do so.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Deadly7, Mahler and Sibelius also come to mind. You might really like Sibelius, actually.

BP348

Reaction score
Between the bagpipe music on one side and the Tejano on the other a little classical might no be too bad.

I tend to tune out everyone elses music so it wouldn't bother me but classical in general just puts me to sleep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads