• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People's conceptions of other people who listen to classical music...??.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
I listen to a fair bit of Chopin, Bach, etc. at low volume through a pair of half-decent external speakers while doing desk work. As the new kid on the block, my portion of the office is shared with a number of young'ish, slightly-less-than-30 year-old girls who all find me rather inscrutable as a result.

I've always been extremely sensitive to music (and my musical surroundings), so I'm often concerned - in case others are the same way - if my musical tastes are causing my co-workers consternation. I'm primarily concerned about the younger cats, I suppose, as a few of the seniors have already paused to listen and comment amicably on a number of occasions.

Since most of you probably listen to contemporary music, care to share your thoughts on how you would feel sharing a space with a fan of "classical" music (I hate that term)? There are certainly occasions where I sense that the Lady Gaga tune a few desks over is being turned up to kill what owns her.

i listen to chopin and others all the time. but i dont listen to it at work. i can get why people would get disturbed or have misconceptions about me.
ive listened to classical all my life growing up because my mom always played it. i always preferred it over anything els.e

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Another fallacy, that classical music is only good "background" music, or elevator music. S

+1. I don't get much done when I listen to Beethoven or Brahms. Linear and melodic Romantic music is just as engrossing as anything else out there. When I'm in a work mood, I often listen to stuff like Liszt, Bartok, Satie, Prokofiev, or Schoenberg.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot listen to film scores. At best they're watered down, syrupy versions of the 'first' great Viennese school. If you're referring to film scores by Korngold, Rosza, Waxman or Rota, then I think you are talking about something a little more interesting. If you like that kind of sound, you would probably like a lot of Mahler, Bruckner (listen to finale of 8th symphony) ...and certainly R. Strauss. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK7z2...eature=channel They're all very big, heavy on melody, extremely romantic and often programmatic as well which seems to hold some allure for people with little prior experience with 'classical' music. Don't forget Wagner overtures... there's a youtube video of Solti and the Chicago Symphony doing Tannhauser which is legendary.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I cannot listen to film scores. At best they're watered down, syrupy versions of the 'first' great Viennese school.

If you're referring to film scores by Korngold, Rosza, Waxman or Rota, then I think you are talking about something a little more interesting.

If you like that kind of sound, you would probably like a lot of Mahler, Bruckner (listen to finale of 8th symphony)

...and certainly R. Strauss. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK7z2...eature=channel

They're all very big, heavy on melody, extremely romantic and often programmatic as well which seems to hold some allure for people with little prior experience with 'classical' music. Don't forget Wagner overtures... there's a youtube video of Solti and the Chicago Symphony doing Tannhauser which is legendary.

+1 in general, though I have been caught listening to Audrey sing Moon River because i'm
inlove.gif
with her. /nohomo

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I used to work in a company where the factory people called the CEO "Vivaldi" because he used to listen to clasical music in his office, and they found that very elitist.

just saying

I'm surprised factory workers would even think to give him such a nickname.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i listen to chopin and others all the time. but i dont listen to it at work. i can get why people would get disturbed or have misconceptions about me.
ive listened to classical all my life growing up because my mom always played it. i always preferred it over anything els.e

I have a client whose son plays piano very well ... and when guests are there he is encouraged to play classical. On one recent visit ... as I knocked on the door ... this fellow made the most beautiful transition from Scott Joplin to Chopin.

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
+1

I had a music teacher in undergrad ("Clapping for Credit," as the class was popularly known) who looked, acted, and appreciated music pretty much identically to Hannibal Lecter. It was eerie.

You took MUS105? lols

I wouldn't listen to music using speakers, get some headphones and enjoy yourself

rjacobs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
I listen primarily to the 20th century modern classical: it's anything but soothing, and most people find it disturbing

This. I like to play Penderecki's "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" on full bore at work until they give me a raise.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
listening to classical music is fine but classical record collectors all seem like child rapists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads