• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, they report 15% of YOUR sales to the IRS on YOUR behalf. So every paystub, say 2 weeks, has a income on it that represents 15% of your total sales for those 2 weeks.

So say you sold 1000$ a shift and worked 10 shifts in 2 weeks, they'd report 15% of 10,000 or $1500 in income to the IRS.

In the old old days you earned cash and could report whatever but CCards have made that a thing of the past. In the 90's the IRS came down hard on this.

But if your tips averaged less than 15% over this time, say 14% (=$1400), you'd be paying more than your fair share of tax?

And if you were above 15%, you'd be paying less?

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We don't love them hoes.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only time I ever paid for a prostitute was when I was 16 or 17. Her name was Sunny. Adorable and fresh faced. I never went through with the coitus as I felt a pang of guilt with the whole thing. I still paid her but a few minutes later, her pimp came to see me and beat me up. Apparently, I didn't pay enough.

If this was during a trip to India, that Sunny was prolly a he............

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

For the waiters/former waiters here. How about instead of splitting bills, my friends and I calculate how much each card needs to be charged? So say with a party of 6, we have 3 cards and a note with how much each card needs to be charged. We usually just do pre-tax multiplied by 25% to cover tax and tip or double the tax for tip.

It's not that splitting checks is hard, it's that taking up the (usually only) machine/POS system for long enough to run three or four cards takes up a lot of time (in restaurant speak, in reality it's like 3 minutes), and backs up all the other waiters trying to enter in orders, print their own checks, etc. So you save them a little bit of work, but that isn't the point of why it's an annoyance.

But in reality, splitting checks never bothered me. It's just part of the job, some people want it and others don't.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the waiters/former waiters here. How about instead of splitting bills, my friends and I calculate how much each card needs to be charged? So say with a party of 6, we have 3 cards and a note with how much each card needs to be charged. We usually just do pre-tax multiplied by 25% to cover tax and tip or double the tax for tip.

At the places where I used to work, we were not allowed to practice this because of liability issues. I have heard situations before where customers let the waitresses charge extra to include the tips and later accusing the restaurant of fraud. One time a group of Chinese fobs asked me to split a check 15 ways, annoyed the **** out of me.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the places where I used to work, we were not allowed to practice this because of liability issues. I have heard situations before where customers let the waitresses charge extra to include the tips and later accusing the restaurant of fraud. One time a group of Chinese fobs asked me to split a check 15 ways, annoyed the **** out of me.

SMH newbz

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never ran into a place that didn't allow it, although I have been to places with 2 CC max per check. I leave cash for tip anyhow, since I know it's not taxed outright whereas the CC tax is.

Just wondering if servers found it annoying or not. I'll try to bring extra cash along when it's a busy place but damn do I hate using cash.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of working as a waiter part time when I go back to school this fall. Seems like it might be kinda fun to do for a couple semesters.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ not a bad idea. it puts you in the scene, you get to meet potential hookups, AND get paid.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Never ran into a place that didn't allow it, although I have been to places with 2 CC max per check. I leave cash for tip anyhow, since I know it's not taxed outright whereas the CC tax is.

Just wondering if servers found it annoying or not. I'll try to bring extra cash along when it's a busy place but damn do I hate using cash.

Dont waste your time. Just put it on the CC. No waiter will notice it.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So here is a question since we are on the subject,
When is it ok not to tip?
For example: I feel that when i order a cup of coffee at starbucks that i dont owe a tip for the guy/gal pouring me coffee, if i burden them by ordering more than 1 drink then i tip no question...
Another example: i dont feel like i owe a tip for the bartender to pour me a beer or open a beer and same thing if its multiple drinks then tip is cool

i usually tip a lot to waiters and restaurants, but some tips i just dont get...

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^ not a bad idea. it puts you in the scene, you get to meet potential hookups, AND get paid.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'm moving to a new city and won't know anyone. Can't think of a better way to meet some new people.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So here is a question since we are on the subject,
When is it ok not to tip?
For example: I feel that when i order a cup of coffee at starbucks that i dont owe a tip for the guy/gal pouring me coffee, if i burden them by ordering more than 1 drink then i tip no question...
Another example: i dont feel like i owe a tip for the bartender to pour me a beer or open a beer and same thing if its multiple drinks then tip is cool

i usually tip a lot to waiters and restaurants, but some tips i just dont get...

Bartenders, yes, you are obliged to tip. Coffee pourer (or barrista pfff), no, its a gesture. I always pay with a card anyway at the Starbucks so how do I tip anyway?

If you ask me too many things that don't warrant tips are getting them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics