• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pendletons -- anyone remember the shirts?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the days of the Pendleton shirt? Anyone where them now, and if so how is the quality? I assume they still have their own woolen mills?

Also, anyone know where I might be able to find New Old Stock or Dead Stock Pendleton blankets?

Thanks gents.

H.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
'Course, there are tons of them in the thrifts around here, often in good shape. If you are looking for something you can't find on ebay, let me know and I'll keep an eye out. As for quality, they hold up extremely well. My stepdad and his side of the family love them, their jackets, blankets, shirts, hats etc.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Course, there are tons of them in the thrifts around here, often in good shape. If you are looking for something you can't find on ebay, let me know and I'll keep an eye out. As for quality, they hold up extremely well. My stepdad and his side of the family love them, their jackets, blankets, shirts, hats etc.
Yep, that's why I asked. I visited a Salvation Army the other day, and I couldn't believe how many Pendletons there were for a dollar or two.

Crazy really, as the quality is good and I think the good looks eternal.

Not to got on a rant here but: it's amazing to me how much of our consumer goods are disposable. It's one thing when the goods are built that way; another when they aren't.

Lord Foppington

Reaction score
I find good old shirts, with the looped closure for the collar button, all the time at thrift stores. Watch out for moth holes though: Pendleton wool must be very tasty.

Another thing to look for are Pendleton three-quarter winter coats, the tweedy, quilt-lined ones, with leather buttons. I have a brown one that projects a very traditional "country" look, and I get vigorously complimented every time I wear it. It's exceptionally well made too.

Then there are the traditional/professorial-looking tweed blazers with elbow patches--I look for those, but don't have one for myself yet. And the very "Western" blazers, with the curvy (sometimes suede) yokes, and suede patches...I think you need a longhorn hood ornament on your Caddy to wear those.

And then the hats. There are great old Pendleton tweedy Trilby-like old-man hats, plaid, herringbone, etc. etc., with jaunty feathers. Don't have one of those yet.

Good God. Am I a vintage Pendleton freak? I have lots of other, very different types of clothes, I swear.

Lord Foppington

Reaction score
I've wanted to wear old-man clothes since I was 17.

Now old men don't even wear old-man clothes. They wear rubber-soled shoes (if not running shoes) and warm-up suits.

So it's still a statement, though I'm heading toward being an old man myself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads