• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peak Lapel vs. Notch Lapel for DB or SB Tuxedo

willgro

Reaction score
I have an arguement and I need your help. I'm being told single breasted peak lapel tuxedos are modern. That Clark Gabel or Cary Grant wore peak lapel tuxedos but they were double breasted. I said no, peak lapel, single breasted suits are the gold standard via
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...troduction.htm
They say this is bogus and peak lapel single breasted suit is wrong, the classic guys (Cary and Clark) wore peak lapels but it was double breasted tuxedos. The issue is double breasted vs single breasted tuxedos on the classics...Cary and Clark or others.
I think I'm right but I can't find any pictures...ideas? Support?

God forbid I am wrong?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willgro
I have an arguement and I need your help. I'm being told single breasted peak lapel tuxedos are modern. That Clark Gabel or Cary Grant wore peak lapel tuxedos but they were double breasted. I said no, peak lapel, single breasted suits are the gold standard via
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic...troduction.htm
They say this is bogus and peak lapel single breasted suit is wrong, the classic guys (Cary and Clark) wore peak lapels but it was double breasted tuxedos. The issue is double breasted vs single breasted tuxedos on the classics...Cary and Clark or others.
I think I'm right but I can't find any pictures...ideas? Support?

God forbid I am wrong?

The question in your thread title is different from what you ask in the text of your post. I think there's a general consensus on here that dinner jackets look best with peak lapels or shawl collars. Peak DB is old school Car Grant style, peak SB are very popular these days and have been for some time.

SB notch lapels look too close to a daytime suit and generally lack that certain classiness of the styles mentioned above.

Matt S

Reaction score
Single-breasted peak lapel dinner jackets are more traditional than a single-breasted notch. Here's a picture of Cary Grant from Notorious in 1946:
m8jyid.jpg

This should be all you need.

willgro

Reaction score
That is perfect, all I need. This is what I'm going to try for my wedding. Appreciated. I'm assuming he is wearing a cummerbund in this picture, although I cannot see it. Not a waistcoat. My understanding is that one should wear one or the other.

agoldf

Reaction score
SB peak are both traditional and modern. It really would depend on cut. I'd stay away from a SB notch, as that is more likely to look dated.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...They say ...

They never know what they're talking about.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is perfect, all I need. This is what I'm going to try for my wedding. Appreciated. I'm assuming he is wearing a cummerbund in this picture, although I cannot see it. Not a waistcoat. My understanding is that one should wear one or the other.

I think his waistcoat is visible, though note it appears to be a classic style, not a high buttoning style vest you typically see at rental shopps

if you ALWAYS keep your jacket buttoned, and won't have visible buttons on your shirt not covered by studs, then I don't think you need either. otherwise you will look like this guy

brad-angelina-aA_small.jpg

Matt S

Reaction score

He's wearing a proper black waistcoat, low-cut with 3 or 4 closely spaced buttons. It should hardly be seen. These aren't very easy to come by, but it's the only proper waistcoat with black tie. It's easier to find them in white cotton pique like the ones that must be worn for white tie, but those require a wing-collar shirt (preferably detachable). For the classic look a spread collar and black waistcoat is best. Whatever you do don't get a high-cut waistcoat.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
He's wearing a proper black waistcoat, low-cut with 3 or 4 closely spaced buttons. It should hardly be seen. These aren't very easy to come by, but it's the only proper waistcoat with black tie. It's easier to find them in white cotton pique like the ones that must be worn for white tie, but those require a wing-collar shirt (preferably detachable). For the classic look a spread collar and black waistcoat is best. Whatever you do don't get a high-cut waistcoat.

I actually have one for sale if you are a 39 or 40

I need a 46
frown.gif

willgro

Reaction score
This is incredibly helpful, I will find out. Thank you. I'm going to get married with this exact look, but I need to find the waistcoats for all the groomsmen. I appreciate the offer, I'll find my size. I'm still trying to decide between cummerbund and waistcoat, but at least I'm headed in the right direction. Put together some other looks for what I'm going for here, but I can't tell what is better, the cummerbund or waistcoat. Guess it's a style choice.
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...remiere-29.jpg
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...ars-01crop.jpg
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...1_2007_001.jpg
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...oplesdaily.jpg
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...od/78th_gy.jpg
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...onneryS_01.jpg

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Personally I go with neither but if I was to choose the waistcoat is better and the photo of CG supports this. I think a cummerbund is just o e step too far in pointless accoutrements which make up a lot of black tie kit. We wear studs and links when buttons would work fine. Now we wear a strip of ruffled silk to cover a waistband which should never be seen anyway as you should keep your jacket buttoned until you sit down to eat.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Personally I go with neither but if I was to choose the waistcoat is better and the photo of CG supports this. I think a cummerbund is just o e step too far in pointless accoutrements which make up a lot of black tie kit. We wear studs and links when buttons would work fine. Now we wear a strip of ruffled silk to cover a waistband which should never be seen anyway as you should keep your jacket buttoned until you sit down to eat.

Elegance is never pointless, especially when it has a function. The cummerbund replaces a waistcoat when it's hot.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Elegance is never pointless, especially when it has a function. The cummerbund replaces a waistcoat when it's hot.

Well my DJ is double breasted so I don't have to concern myself with it but I still don't think they look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads