• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat from Army/Navy Surplus?

CopperKettle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Newbie here. I'm working hard to re-work my wardrobe on a relatively small budget, but one thing I want to get right is a good, winter peacoat. I think the style really fits my personality and lifestyle. That said, I'm shopping around and it looks like the favorite brand around here (and, minus the vintage coats, at the Fedora Lounge) is Sterlingware.

I can measure myself and order a coat online, but I don't think anything can quite replace trying on actual coats and seeing what really fits. That said, there is a nearby Army Navy surplus store with a small warehouse with pea coats, where I can tangible try some coats on. Is there any reason I should avoid purchasing a peacoat from this store? I think I even read somewhere that Sterlingware actually supplies the Navy with their pea coats.

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers!

Scuttlebutt

Reaction score
I really wouldn't buy a peacoat unless it was a surplus or strictly a military style coat. They tend to be the warmest, most durable coats you can buy. Anything else in my opinion is tacky.

If you find one and you like it, grab it. And yes, Sterlingwear supplied a lot of the Navy peacoats.

Hooyah!

factorial

Reaction score
Many (most?) of the army/navy surplus stores sell Sterlingwear coats. They're good coats. The only reason to go with a different brand of peacoat would be to get one in a color other than black or navy, or to get one made out of nicer fabric (the Sterlingwear wool is more "utilitarian" than "luxe").

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
where do you live?
My sister now owns the family Army& Navy store in Philadelphia I. Goldberg
they have the basic assortment of new Pea coats.
but also some used.
as well as an Italian version that is fantastic.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
Many (most?) of the army/navy surplus stores sell Sterlingwear coats. They're good coats. The only reason to go with a different brand of peacoat would be to get one in a color other than black or navy, or to get one made out of nicer fabric (the Sterlingwear wool is more "utilitarian" than "luxe").

Sterlingwear is good - I would just be careful with sizing - they run very big.

arc

Reaction score
There's a giant thread about peacoats and Sterlingwear over in the Streetwear and Denim board.

They have a good return policy. Just order a couple around your prescribed size (check that thread in SW&D for specifics, but try sizing down ~2) and return the one you like less. Only have to pay shipping.

Definitely go to the surplus store though, you might be able to pick up a great cheap coat there, especially while it's still summer and people aren't thinking about winter coats. Anything that's legitimate navy surplus will hold its own with Sterlingware, and have a bit more credibility, since the RTW Sterlingwear coats aren't exactly the same as their navy spec ones.

Big T

Reaction score
Go for it! Just several weeks ago I was at a nearby Army/Navy surplus store looking at peacoats, among several other things. Don't know the manufacture, but they appear very well made and very similar to the one my Dad wore in WWII! I wore that one in the early 70s in college and have no idea where it disappeared to (though it wouldn't me me anyhow).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads