• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat - BB vs Ted Baker

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
I have narrowed down my pea coat options to two after spending a bunch of time in multiple stores today. Any advice is always appreciated on style. Does anyone have one and can comment on how they hold up over time? Both fit nicely for my build.

#1 Brooks Brothers Classic Pea Coat
BBClasicPeacoat.jpg

#2 Ted Baker Loman Wool Reefer
TA0M_GJ02_LOMAN_00-BLACK_1.jpg

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both nice. By preference, I would go with Ted Baker due to the styling of the coat. I have an overcoat that is a Ted Baker, wore it about everyday throughout last winter. It still looks nearly mint! Do both pea coats fall in the same price range?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brianpore
Klobber, thanks for the reply. The price (without any sales) are about $100 apart. The Brooks Brothers runs about $550 and the Ted baker is about $450.

No brainer in that case, Ted Baker coat seems the best purchase. Shame you cant try both on and work out which looks better on you, but judging just by pictures Ted Baker all the way.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Tried them both on today actually. Was dead set on the Brooks Brothers until I found the Ted Baker coat. They both fit very well, shoulders were really good and slim though the waist as I'm 5'7 and 130. Both would need the sleeves taken up. I do like how the Ted Baker has some extra suddle details and stitching on the wrists and pocket areas. I did like how basic the Brooks Brothers was, what a coat should be to me at least, but after trying on the Ted Baker and seeing how nice it was, I was pretty split down the middle.

The $100 savings is nice, but I was going to try and wait till right after Christmas to buy one so hopefully they will both be in the $200-$300 range on sale. Also going to keep my eyse on ebay. A BB NWT, size medium (I'm a small unfortunately) just sold on ebay for $230.

Imhoff, just sent you a PM.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $100 savings is nice, but I was going to try and wait till right after Christmas to buy one so hopefully they will both be in the $200-$300 range on sale. Also going to keep my eyse on ebay. A BB NWT, size medium (I'm a small unfortunately) just sold on ebay for $230.

BB has a good presence on eBay, Ted Baker less so unless you try the .co.uk version of the site where Ted Baker stuff is more popular.

I would not bet too strongly you will find it on eBay - it is possible sure, but not certain (particularly for a certain size). I missed out on a Ted Baker blazer in Heathrow Terminal 3 which was more than nice, it was exceptional. Now I cannot find it anywhere over here in the States and find most UK stores refusing to post to US. My bad for not being more impulsive!

The advantage of Ted Baker - you would be one of the few wearing this coat - it is nice to be original or have an item nearly unique to you. I would buy more Ted Baker stuff if it was not so rare in the States. I think the quality is at least 8 or 9/10, and the price more than reasonable for what you get.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried them both on today actually. Was dead set on the Brooks Brothers until I found the Ted Baker coat. They both fit very well, shoulders were really good and slim though the waist as I'm 5'7 and 130. Both would need the sleeves taken up. I do like how the Ted Baker has some extra suddle details and stitching on the wrists and pocket areas. I did like how basic the Brooks Brothers was, what a coat should be to me at least, but after trying on the Ted Baker and seeing how nice it was, I was pretty split down the middle.

Imhoff, just sent you a PM.

How are you a small? Have you tried on an extra small?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't tried on the Ted Baker or seen it in person so I cannot really comment knowledgeably on that one but it looks a bit too slim fitting for my tastes. I like to be layer with a thick sweater underneath and I always thought that traditional peacoat was not supposed to be quite so trim. I tried on the Brooks Brothers a few months ago and almost bought it but decided to check out the J. Crew and Sterlingwear peacoats first. After checking them all out, I ended up going with the J. Crew mainly because it cost less than half of what the Brooks Brothers did and even though the material of the BB was a bit nicer, to me it wasn't worth the added cost considering how often I would end up wearing it. So far, I've been more than happy with my purchase. You can always check out the Mega Peacoat Thread over on SW&D and get the opinions of the unwashed masses as well.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i got a bb duffel coat about 8 years ago i dont know if the pea coat is made the same but my coat has held up outstandingly well and i was not gentle with it

Brianpore

Reaction score
I am a small 100% in BB, fits really well in the shoulders and anything smaller would to tight. As for the Ted Baker, I tried on a size 2 and it fit really well in the shoulders also. Like 'Michigan Planner' (went to school in Flint actually), said the Ted Baker is a tad more slim fitting which which is why it's so hard to choose one. I did try on the Jcrew and Banana Republic coats but even the smalls (couldn't find an XS to try on) felt huge like a tent. This coat is going to be just for light sweaters and dress shirts so dont have to worry about it going over garments that are too thick.

Found one on ebay in Grey in the UK (thanks for the UK ebay suggestion) in a size 2 asking $220obo, but want another $65! to ship it to the states which seems like a lot for shipping of a coat that weighs only a few pounds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads