• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal dispute

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, needing some advice here:

So I sold this item internationally to a guy in the UK, LINK. The item fully stated
"FULL DISCLOSURE: The Brunello Cucinelli tag in the back of the neck is missing (ask for photos). The original retail price tag of BC was attached on via two small holes (~1mm radius, back of the neck also) but unnoticeable when worn. Price was adjusted to reflect this small blemish.
Message for more images if needed. Be sure to know your measurement before buying, there is no refund/exchange. All sales are finals. Thanks."
and the guy just opened up a Paypal dispute case this morning on Buyer reason(s) of Externally Damaged Copy of Original, Missing Parts and stating that
"The tag is not original, it is from another Brunello Cucinelli jumper. I know this as when you open the tag the sampled material is different from the jumper it is a WHITE COTTON which has not relation to the color of the jumper. The holes in the back are far from 1mm they are significantly larger and it isn't "unnoticeable when worn' on the contrary the main thing noticed. The jumper also doesn't seem to be authentic I have numerous jumpers from the make and in the inside of the jumper is say Brunello cucinelli which is nowhere to be found in this one. This jumper is absolute garbage and the seller should be warned for items like this. These are the people who ruin it for everyone else. I am more than happy to send you pictures of this jumper as proof of my statements. I would like to request a full refund on the above terms."

How would Paypal deal with this if it escalates to a claim? Will I as the seller have any chance to win at all? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The one time I got hit by an "item not as described" claim, I phoned paypal about it and spoke to a woman who seemed very kind and understanding, she acknowledged everything I said and agreed with me that the item had not been misrepresented, and promised to make a note on my case for the actual decision-maker to read.

A day or two later, they announced that they had sided with the buyer and forced me to refund him.

Paypal will screw you every time.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have probably lost already. Paypal does not support vendors, disgraceful though that is at times.

Your mistake was not to post photographs of the damage prior t the sale so as to prove its nature prior to this individual getting it. Now he can enlarge them to his hearts content and you will take the fall.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He left some pretty brutal feedback; why is he so angry????

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He left some pretty brutal feedback; why is he so angry????

He's being bitter because he felt cheated. He responded to me in all caps with threats.

I did have photos of the damage, but didn't know how to post it on eBay as it was my first sale... Now I know how but it's a bit late. I do have pictures of them from B&S though. Will that help?

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Oh man! You can't even leave him a negative. Maybe leave a positive but write some venom in there. I hate eBay for this (and many other) reasons.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought so and I was willing to negotiate as long as i get my sweater back in the same condition and will refund only 90% of the price to cover for ebay fee. He refused and wanted 100% of this payment + return shipping to get the sweater back to me... sigh, i'm so fucked, especially if he marks the sweater up and I get hit with custom fee too.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, needing some advice here:

How would Paypal deal with this if it escalates to a claim? Will I as the seller have any chance to win at all? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PayPal no longer allows photographs to be uploaded in their dispute process. If it becomes a he/she said, PayPal will decide to have the buyer return the item for a refund - what they consider "bringing the transaction back to square one." You have nothing to contest the buyer's allegations, so I don't see how they could side with you.

On the positive side, If an item is returned the eBay final value fees will be refunded.

In general:

1. Don't use stock pictures.

2. If there is a flaw/spot/any area of possible discrepancy - provide clear detailed photographs of it.

3. If you are ever in a better situation where you have room to negotiate a case - call into PayPal or eBay and speak to them directly. If you aren't getting anywhere with a representative, quickly and politely end the call and call back until you get somewhere.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

I'd definitely be interested in buying the sweater from you if I do NOT live in the country where the coldest temperature only reach 80 degree!!!!!

It sure looks cozy!

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry that you have to go through this.
I'd definitely be interested in buying the sweater from you if I do NOT live in the country where the coldest temperature only reach 80 degree!!!!!
It sure looks cozy!

Thanks guys, I'll be surprised to get my sweater back in one piece, same condition :sarcasm:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads